“Past its prime?”

Bourgeois Pig Cafe
Ranked #47 of 363 Coffee & Tea in Chicago
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Neighbourhood: Lincoln Park
Description: gourmet sandwiches and salads with great coffee and desserts in the north Lincoln Park area near DePaul University
Reviewed 8 September 2017

First, I will say that the places to sit in this cafe are expansive ... with many rooms, tables and seating options. That part I loved!

What didn't I like? The coffee and tea we had were mediocre at best. I was told by the counter help to choose my tea and bring it over to her (the service was a bit surly) and I chose the aged (three years) puerh tea, which turned out to be just gross in its taste.

The overall atmosphere seemed like it had been charming in years past, but had a forgotten, neglected vibe to it.

We went elsewhere for our second cups and food.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

The food and atmosphere turned out to be even better than the website promised. It seems to be a quaint old (former) house on a commercial block, and the outdoor seating was a plus since things are a bit tight indoors. The sandwiches have clever names from Shakespeare and other literary legends, and the variety of drinks and salads did not disappoint. The Hamlet boasted some of the best, crusty sourdough I've had anywhere. Being in a neighborhood meant dogs and their masters came by every few minutes for some friendly interaction. Can't wait to come back with friends.

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

This independent coffee shop has a massive menu. The food is generally tasty and, even though there's usually a long line, the wait is worth it. The restaurant is deceptively large, with indoor and outdoor seating involving two storefront plus an upstairs seating area. The server, Michael, was great and did not seem at all flapped by the long line of people waiting. The bathroom is tiny (only one), and the brownie was dry. And it was surprisingly costly for a lunch with Lattes plus a few sweet items to go. So, sort of aixed bag, but we would go back. This place has a nice laid back vibe.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

I have fond memories of sitting upstairs with my family on snowy winter days, drinking hot chocolate and playing scrabble... It's a wonderful setting, and the food is very nice, if not cheap. Definitely one of my favorite places in Chicago (if only for sentimental reasons).

Reviewed 23 May 2017

I used to really like this place, and when I needed to head into Chicago I would come in for coffee and breakfast while I do work. The last two times have not been good, and I won't be going back, which is too bad because it's super cute and has so much potential. The last time I came in (like a month or so ago) I ordered a breakfast bowl that was missing a key ingredient, and came out overcooked so I couldn't eat parts of it. I never mentioned anything and it wasn't that big of a deal. But today I went in and ordered the same thing, and specifically asked about that ingredient. Interestingly they were out of it today too, and said someone should have told me last time. Then I went back up to ask for a different coffee cup because mine was cracked. They said they are all cracked (???) so I had them make me a new one in a to go cup. Gross. While I happened to be up there they also mentioned they were out of another key ingredient in my breakfast bowl (the protein). I said I guess that was ok but maybe they could include a side of fruit with it. She said it already comes with fruit. WHATEVER then, so just bring me what you have. It came with a toothpick of one strawberry, one blackberry and one blueberry. That's cute, but that's a garnish, not a side. And for all the trouble, and specifically asking, you think they would have sent it out with a little bowl of berries. Instead I had to go back up and ask for butter to have with my plain toast. Kind of came with a side of attitude though, certainly no apologies. Done. Will find some other cute coffee shop.

Been to Bourgeois Pig Cafe? Share your experiences!