“What a jem!”

Ranked #16 of 711 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Take a step back in time to the Gilded Age with banker Samuel Nickerson's mansion. Explore all three floors of the museum and discover how the Nickerson family lived and socialized. Tours are an extra $5, but well worth it.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

This was our first visit to the museum. It's expensive, but unique. (Check to see if you have reciprocity with your home art museum.) The Museum is in a house that is an exceptional example of the Aesthetic Style. The art glass and Tiffany lamps are marvelous.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,280)
All reviews
in 14 reviews
"special exhibit"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Born and raised in Chicago, I frequently return here to visit family and attend conferences. Last year was really the first I heard of the Driehaus Museum and I missed the visit to see the Downton Abbey exhibit. Finally made it yesterday. I was truly blown away by this lovingly restored home and the collections on display. This house easily rivals the many historic homes I have seen. Definitely in the class with the homes in Charleston SC and the Vanderbilt estate on a smaller scale. If you are into history and architecture this is a must see. The current exhibit, The Art of Seating, was very fascinating. I liked the interactive touch of providing sample chairs to sit in. And the little photo op pop up. Also connecting historical events and timeline provided an added layer of information. My hubby and I are readers so we spent almost 3 hours at the museum. Chicago has many small specialty museums and this is a crown jewel.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

As a local Chicagoan, I don't know what took me so long to see this place! If you are into history, art, and architecture seeing this place will be a real treat. It's absolutely stunning. The wood work is brilliant. The whole place is just incredibly gorgeous. We did not do the guided tour but I wish we would have. When you are in Chicago, really you must see this beautiful place. You will not regret your visit!

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

We had a wonderful time touring this amazing building. Such beautiful rooms filled with wondrous furnishings one can only be in awe of. Enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. Audrey at the admission desk was so friendly, great representation of the place.

1  Thank ChicagoNewbie