“Delicious variety of cheeses”

Pastoral Artisan Cheese, Bread & Wine
Ranked #786 of 10,169 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Deli
Neighbourhood: Downtown / The Loop
Neighbourhood: Downtown / The Loop
Reviewed 25 April 2017

This is a small business in downtown Chicago. It specializes in a variety of cheeses and wines. Although it's pricey, the quality is superb. Can't wait to go again ! They will give you samples of the cheeses and olives.

Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

If you have a craving for a really high-quality cheese and crusty bread, stroll over.
The help is truly helpful.

But be prepared to dig deep for your picnic lunch from here.
A small loaf of beer bread, ($4.88), less than quarter pound of pecorino reserve ($6.67), 3rd pound of Reading Rachlette from Vermont (6.38) and .45 pounds of ChallerHocker from Switzerland my favorite ( $13.05)
Topped it off with a small tub of Vermont creamery butter ($10.99) which tasted old and waxy.

I got two midnight "snacks" out of my purchase for about $43.

You will have to dig deep to walk away with a treat from here.

That being said, I will visit again.

Reviewed 1 February 2017 via mobile

If you are looking for a quick lunch in the loop this lovely cheese shop offers artisan sandwiches with delicious combinations of ingredients. Located a 10 minute walk from the Art Institute of Chicago this is the perfect place for a quick bite. The sandwiches are huge, the quality is exceptional and you are supporting a local business. Most of the offerings are between $7 and $11. A fantastic and inexpensive way to taste Chicago and get you back to your sightseeing in about half an hour. Very highly recommend.

Reviewed 29 January 2017

Timing is everything with this shop. With only a few tables and servers and being quite popular, this small shop can get quickly over-crowded. The first time we stopped by, a tour group stepped in the door right behind us and soon there were almost twenty people milling around. We took our sandwiches and ran. They were good enough that we decided to come back. Today, it was 3:30 when we walked in the door and we had the place to ourselves. Ordered sandwiches and while waiting, I sampled seven different kinds of cheese from the nice talkative chap with washed out green hair behind the counter and bought two. The sandwiches were again quite good. I brought home a baguette too and was pleased to make my own cheese plate with wine that evening. Things are expensive, no doubt, but hell, somebody needs to pay the people who devote their lives to fine food and drink.

1  Thank Chuck C
Reviewed 16 January 2017

Was here during a very busy weekday lunch. Very limited seating. Three 2 seaters with only 4 chairs. It is a cute shop filled with sandwiches and even an olive and garlic bar. Amazing looking cheese selection as well. The cheese monger gave me a free sample of Gutensberg, shaved with a knife. Fancy knife skills sir.

A table of two have been finished eating since before I arrived and are just taking up space. I know they can see me waiting... (tap foot, tap foot a little louder). They are deep in conversation about the weather and not looking up. Nice. How roooooood. I might die of low blood sugar and collapse before they move. Are they from NYC? lol

I'm holding onto the Blue Pig n' Fig sandwich I ordered three years ago when I stood in line. The bread is cold though. Weird. When I finally see another spot open up (as I'm hovering at this point, and a another couple sees my anguish and politely gets up and offers me their table before they leave). The whole grain mustard brings the pungent out of the nostrils! The saltiness of the Jamon Serrano and that blue cheese tang, marries well with the sweetness of the black tea preserves. What a thought out combination of flavor. Some pieces of the serrano are a bit tough, and the bread is harder than I'd like, but overall, yum. I get up to leave, it's 12:45, and now the line is out the door!

1  Thank Stacy P