New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Perfect” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab

Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab
Reserve with OpenTable
Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 9,342 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rush
Transit: Red Line Grand stop
Panama City, Panama
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Top on the list of restaurants to visit in Chicago. Our visit met our expectations with great seafood, steaks, salads and a long wine list. Prices on the high side, but the attention and the quality of the food served is the highest. Remember, " you get what you pay for " . At Joe's its the best for the money. Get a reservation before going, place gets very crowded.

Visited February 2012

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
“yummy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We have been here for brunch and dinner. Very tasty both times. Hard to get a reservation!

Chicago, Illinois
“If you're into high end chain dining . . .”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

The trouble with most travel web sites is that when you read a restaurant review it's generally done from people who live out of town and have a different perspective on what great dining is. Joe's Stone Crab is part of the Let Us Entertain You chain of restaurants. While this is higher class than your typical Chili's or Applebees, it is still part of a chain of restaurants. A well run chain of restaurants that has been a Chicago institution for years. Keep that in mind when adding superlatives on your experience.

That being said . . . Joe's is an excellent hybrid of the classic Chicago steakhouse with a seafood influence. It is in the same category as a Shaw's CrabHouse (another LEYE restaurant) or Hugo's Frog Bar (part of the Gibson's group). Service is good, but not excellent. The level of attention you get from wait staff is better than most, but not exceptional. Food quality is consistently good. You will not get a bad meal or walk away unsatisfied. Menu selections contain fresh items and some change daily. If you are looking for a quality dining experience, Joe's is a good choice.

I'm from Chicago and there are a whole host of other dining experiences that you can get that are much superior to Joe's. I only rate it three stars (probably otherwise a four star restaurant) because the other ratings that are given are way out of proportion to the other dining options you can get in Chicago for the same price.

Chicago has some of the best restaurants in the country. Don't settle for a chain if you are looking for an outstanding dining experience.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dwbrouwer
TX
“How lucky are we!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

In town for one night on business preparing for a future Chicago event and trip advisor has this as #2 in Chicago. We called and asked for a manager to discuss a possible event there and spoke with Ricky. We arrived at the very busy restaurant but managed to find a table in the bar. Ricky greeted us soon and after our conversation about future business - he really outdid himself with excellent customer service. We had a fabulous dinner and the desserts (pies) were out of this world. Thanks for making this such a fun night!

• Visited February 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent food with old school ambiance.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

My boyfriend and I visited here on a recent Friday for a pre-Valentine's Day dinner. Having worked in the restaurant industry for years I know better than to go out to eat on Valentine's Day. But, the weekend before or after is fair game, in my opinion.

We made reservations way in advance because I heard the weekends are very busy and difficult to get in without reservations. I was sure I made the right choice when I overheard the host tell someone it was at least an hour wait (or more) when we were on our way OUT at 9:45 p.m.. Now, onto the food.

Joe's is especially known for it's stone crab, but also for other seafood and prime steaks. We learned that Florida stone crabs' claws regenerate (into an even bigger claw) if they're removed. So, basically, they're caught, a claw is removed, they're thrown back in the ocean and their claw regenerates. People eat the removed claw. They come in 3 sizes at Joe's. I'm not a big fan of crab, so we didn't try them, but they're super popular and all the diners around us had stone crab.

For an appetizer we had the Caesar salad. You can choose an individual salad or a salad for 2. We had the one for 2. For dinner, I had the Petite Filet Mignon and my bf had the Filet and Lobster. We chose baked potato and steamed asparagus for the sides (everything is a la carte). The asparagus comes with a lemon butter sauce on the side that is really tasty...not only did I put it on the asparagus, but the potato, too! Both of our steaks were cooked perfectly and according to my bf, the lobster "melted in your mouth."

We didn't order dessert, but were surprised with a complimentary key lime pie, Joe's Specialty. It was so incredibly good. It was creamy and tart and had the best homemade graham cracker crust. Joe's also has an extensive wine list and a full bar.

My only complaint is that we were seated at a very small table for 2 that was in a row with several other 2-tops. I understand they are trying to maximize the number of tables they can seat, but it was very uncomfortable to be able to fully hear the conversations going on on both sides of us. I could have easily reached over and grabbed food off of the tables next to me. Additionally, the ambiance is a bit outdated and lackluster. I will definitely return, but I will ask for a booth or a larger table next time!

• Visited February 2012