“Rude Service”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Magnificent Mile
Cross street: Ontario and Michigan
Transit: .5 Blocks away from CTA Bus Route 3, 10, 145, 146, 147, and 151. 4 Blocks West and 2 blocks North of Grand Red Line
Description: Viand Bar and kitchen is situated in the electric Streeterville neighborhood in the Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile hotel. Indulge in a time-honored American meal infused with the multi-cultural heritage of Chicago. Traditional comfort food is freshly prepared with wholesome fresh ingredients and paired with signature cocktails and a variety of beers on tap and micro-brews from the Great Lakes region. Capable of hosting intimate dinners for two or banquets for 60, this restaurant is both versatile and accommodating for any occasion. Combining a one-of-a-kind menu with friendly service and a welcoming decor, Viand is a hidden gem among Magnificent Mile restaurants.
Reviewed 10 August 2015

We did not stay at this hotel, but did meet some friends for drinks in the bar on Saturday August 8. The bartender was very rude and condescending to our guests visiting from outside the country. Maybe he was having a bad night but I will not be patronizing this business again.

1  Thank sunnyhoosier63

Reviewed 30 July 2015

I don't have much time to spend on this review. Here is the low-down. We sat outside which was the best part of this place. Service was ok at best. Not terrible but less than great. The ribs and mahi mahi were awesome. The chicken flat bread was ok. The mac and cheese were pretty good. The bill for 3 people came out to $97 plus tip. For that kind of money I would expect a little more on the service side. I always tip on the total bill price, but I also expect a little more from my server when I have a larger than normal tab. Return... maybe. Worth trying once...yes. Worth trying and decide for yourself if worth returning.

Reviewed 22 July 2015 via mobile

During my quick trip to Chicago for a one day meeting I stayed at the courtyard on Ontario. It is a nicer than most high rise in an ideal neighborhood for my meetings and great for walking around. I decided to have a quick meal in the lobby restaurant. After waiting almost 10 minutes at the host stand a young man sat me at an out side table. Beautiful weather at the time however dinner took so long for nothing more than two appetizers that I was freezing as it took almost two hours for the meal. The waiter was very nice but undertrained and overwhelmed. I ordered a charcuterie tray and a meatball appetizer. The charcuterie was lack luster with no pickles olives or assortment but one type of salami and three cheeses one being a gouda. Unusual for a charcuterie. The meatballs were a combo of two chorizos and two pork. I like spicy but the two chorizo were almost inedible. The two hours were
painful. It got cold and the food was so very mediocre. With so many wonderful restaurants in Chicago please leave the hotel wander around and skip Viand.

Reviewed 7 July 2015

This restaurant is located in the Courtyard Marriott Michigan Avenue/Mag Mile. We were staying at the hotel and dined here twice while we were touring around the city. The first night we ate here we just had appetizers and some wine. All were very good. The service was a bit disorganized (no cocktail menu given with regular menus so we had to ask), but the servers were friendly. We enjoyed all of our appetizers very much, and because we were staying at the hotel, we were able to bring the remaining wine up to our room, which is nice. The second time we ate here the service was more organized and our main courses were really well executed and delicious. The dessert menu seemed to be going through an overhaul, as nothing on the menu was available.

Reviewed 21 April 2015

The food was solid, but the best part of this experience was the bartender, Eric. He was all over everything drinks & food at the bar plus handling tables.

Viand C, Manager at Viand Bar and Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2015

Brian,

Thank you for the great review! We are really glad you enjoyed your experience and we passed your comment along to Eric, we are very lucky to have him. See you next time you are in Chicago!

Dominic Angotti