“A rare experience in Chicago: A restaurant that is conversation friendly and serves good food.”
Review of Zealous - CLOSED

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Hudson & Sedgwick
Transit: 3 Blocks away from the Chicago Brown & Purple El line stop.
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Yesterday five of us dined in Zealous; the atmosphere, the food, the wine list and the service were all first-rate. We liked dining in a civilized place where we could actually hear each other without shouting. As Chicago residents, the only qualm we had was that we had never dined there before. In the future we will certainly return.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

Went for a graduation dinner. I was surprised the room was not more full on a Saturday night. But the food was excellent-freshly prepared, nicely plated. Drinks were excellent. Service was really good and the staff including the chef who came out to say hello were all welcoming (not sure where those negative comments in other reviews came from). A little pricey but overall a much appreciated memorable evening.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

We went here for my sister's birthday. The atmosphere is really cool especially if you have a large party they put you in a "plant" enclosure. The service was great but the food was...meh. I spent most of the night having the waiter explain things to me. The soup was so bland and the appetizers were tiny. For my main course I had the sesame seed sea bass which was pretty good but a very small portion. If you're into trying different things, I'd recommend this place. if you're like me and enjoying trying new things but not paying a lot for odd named foods, I'd suggest going somewhere else.

Reviewed 9 March 2012

Just came back from Zealous and will never return

Went there with a buddy. Tonight is Thursday. We arrived at 5:30 - place was 99% empty. I made the reservation to use my Groupon and via open table. I know there is often a problem with using open table and Gropuon, but since it was a week night, I wasn't too worried

First, my buddy and I love to have drinks and appetizers at the bar. The bar was likewise empty. We had a cocktail then ordered an appetizer - and even though the bar and restaurant were still COMPLETELY EMPTY, we were told that we could not. The chef does not allow it., We had to dine at a table because the CHEF said so. We asked to speak to the chef and were told he would not speak to us

Fine. So we order. The food was really just okay (although pricey and small in portion).

When we're done, we ask for the check and the restaurant had added 18% as a tip even though there were just TWO of us.

My buddy wasn't allowed to use his Mileage Plus Visa (another "rule)

On my smartphont, as we left, I got the email that Zealous had cancelled my Open Table reservation (I wished I had cancelled it)

No need to go to an unfriendly, expensive restaruant when there are so many friendly, welcoming places. My #1 pet peeve was the chef's mandate that we couldn't enjoy our meal at the bar. Does he not get that in this economy, or really any time at all, the customer's wishes should be paramount?

I love gropuon - have found some fantastic places I've returned to numerous times - and in this case, I've spent less money that I would have , and I now know that I won't go back. I don't often post these types of reviews, but this experience was quite irrritating.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

Just back from Zealous and knew I needed to describe my dining experience. We arrived at around 7:45 and waited one hour for our appetizers (which were mediocre at best). after waiting 45 minutes, I finally said something to another waiter and then still waited. I had the "mango pancakes", which were a) very small in portions, even for an appetizer and b) were cold. The side dish of brussel sprouts would have been delicious had they not also been close to cold. The rolls were nothing special. Then we waited again for a very long time for the main dish, finally arriving at 9pm. The seabass was wonderful. Too bad, it was overshadowed by slow service and poor appetizer. The icecream served for dessert was about as small of a portion I have ever seen.One other positive mark for the restaurant was its ambience--it was quiet and nicely decorated.