“Not bad at all”

Good for: Groups
Dining options: Takeout
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 3 April 2018

Three of us came here for lunch at 12:30 a Monday afternoon. Besides one large party at a couple tables, there was nobody else dining. I thought that might not fare well for the quality of their food. I was wrong. We enjoyed our meals. Service was good. Good price. I'd come here again.

Reviewed 8 January 2018

I came in here on accident after looking for a restaurant in the freezing cold and ordered take-out for dinner later that day. The waitress taking our order was helpful and willing to understand us in English. However, the food was downright poor. I ordered chinese broccoli and rice with soy sauce chicken. The chinese broccoli was yellow and tasted sour. For the rice and soy sauce chicken, they forgot to give me the chicken! All I got was a box full of rice and soy sauce. Instead, my friend and I had to go to a local restaurant near our apartment, as this place was too far away. I would not come here again!

Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

Needing somewhere to eat Chinese late night we gave this spot in Chinatown a try. Around 11:30pm it was quite busy and with Chinese and other Asian customers so that was a good sign. It seems they are better known for their noodles but we opted for a soup,some pot stickers and 2 orders of their steamed rice with bbq pork and fried egg. This last dish at 5.95 was a bargain. And though overall I found the food to be average the fact that it keeps late hours and is so inexpensive means I would probably return if given the chance.

Reviewed 1 November 2017

We came here on a recommendation. The wonton and noodle soups are good and very flavorful but the atmosphere is not the best. The place is dirty and décor is aged. Staff is not friendly and appears bothered; they do not seem to welcome or appreciate our business.

Reviewed 16 June 2017

I didn't know that the Urban Dictionary existed until I became acquainted with the 554 at Seven Treasures Cantonese restaurant at 2312 South Wentworth Avenue in Chicago. The 554 is listed on the menu under its official description: BBQ pork with fried eggs over rice. It's a small oval platter heaped high with fluffy, steamed white rice, smothered on one side by fatty slices of red-hued char siu (or barbecued pork) and on the other side by two fried eggs, splashed with dark soy sauce. I was informed that the code name is a holdover from the dish's number on a former menu and it was added to the Urban Dictionary by several late-night diners. What is the Urban Dictionary? It is a crowd-sourced online dictionary of slang words, cultural words and phrases that are not typically found in standard dictionaries. It was founded in 1998 as a parody of dictionary.com and vocabulary.com. When a dish makes the UD, you have to try it. Which we did. Take it from a guy who thinks Cantonese is a name for people who live in Canton, Ohio, 554 is a different but delicious and irresistible dish.