“Awesome”

Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Neighbourhood: Lincoln Park
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Number one reason to come to Chicago!

Shrimp, frog legs, chowder and cherry stones this visit.

Great environment, great service in a funky cool environment.

You owe this to yourself@

1  Thank John G

Reviewed 7 May 2018

We come here a few times a year, and this year we have vowed to come more often. We went for my husband's birthday. We had the dungeness crab, so delish, and so fresh. The prices are not cheap but you get what you pay for. You want premier seafood you have to spend a little bit of cash. We sat outside had some great drinks, some great food and the atmosphere is so fun! The wait staff is so friendly and helpful, you feel like you are part of the family! Cant say enough good things!

1  Thank laurencantore
Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

This is a hidden gem on the north side of Chicago!
I’ve been a fan for over 15 years....lost count of how many visits, but I can truly say that I have never been disappointed. The food is fresh and delicious!
Family owned with impeccable service. Not plush and overstated....the oysters and king crab legs are to die for.

1  Thank AwayUs2
Reviewed 16 April 2018

My husband is a big crab fan. I picked this place per TA recommendation. This place is small, no reservation so had to come early on Saturday to avoid waiting. Didn't know that it's a bartender choice where to seat you when you come in and not yours. You will see this sign when you enter the door to the right side of the bar. The place was almost full except of two tables, one table with 5 seat located inches to the entrance door and other table with 5 seat further from the entrance door. This night that we came in to celebrate my husband birthday was rainy, cold and i prefer eating comfortably without wearing our coat, so i looked at the bar tender, told him 4 people and he nodded, i went in to the other table away from the door but called me in and told me to seat near the door. Mind you there was nobody behind us or waiting. Few minutes later, our waitress came and i asked her about the other table if it is reserve but she said no, told her what happened and she said it is for 5 people, didn't offer us if we would like to move. Twenty minutes later, someone walked in with 4 people and was given that other table. I was little irritated because every time the door opened, we feel the cold wind from outside. Half shell to me is more like a bar/lounge than a restaurant feeling to it and starting to regret coming to celebrate a special occasion to this place but we ordered anyway to try. The noise was so bad that i could not hear my husband talking to me and i had to move next to him from across since his starting to get irritated since i kept saying what. Before our ordered came in, the other people in the corner were leaving and i told our waitress if we can move since it was so cold, by this time there were other people waiting but glad our waitress said yes.
The crab cakes. fried eggplant, chowder soup we ordered were very good and tasty but not so much the lobster bisque. The king crab was big and meaty that satisfied my husband's craving so I was happy. I wanted to order the whole dinner snapper but was told they run out (at 6pm?) so i choose fried scallop which was a mistake for me. My kids ordered fried shrimp and grilled shrimp which was very good and tasty as well. I told our waitress that this is our first time and my husband's birthday when she asked us thinking that she might do something special like maybe singing a happy birthday or a candle of something but no. Just a bill and a container to go. The bill was actually very good for 4 people for what we ordered but I will go somewhere else for all of our special occasion celebrations instead of this place.

Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

We did a quick Anniversary trip to Chicago in Nov. 2017 and ate at this recommend by friends restaurant. Absolutely Loved It! Very Small Mom & Pop atmosphere, family owned restaurant. Drinks were on point and the seafood was soooo Good! Hands down we love this place, owner was very friendly and very welcoming! We are travel agents and always looking for new places and this by all means a MUST restaurant if you love seafood.

1  Thank mbenjamin99

Been to Half Shell? Share your experiences!