“Drinks with friends”

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Wicker Park / Bucktown
Reviewed 30 June 2017

Had a great time at the Violet Hour. Probably not cool enough for the place, but the waiter was very nice and helpful. We didn't have to wait at all as it was a Sunday and they were not busy. I enjoyed all the drinks and snacks we ordered. My friend was less than impressed with her first drink and they made her a totally new one. Pricey, but it would be more of a special night out rather than your normal neighborhood bar.

Reviewed 30 May 2017

This was my second visit and was very pleased as last time. It was a Friday night with a line to get in, but the door person is very efficient at getting people in as seats open. I did not personally mind waiting as I knew to expect it, as with many popular establishments in this city. What sets this place apart from a typical bar is the atmosphere and cocktail selection. As others said, it's dimly lit but kind of mysterious when you go in. You feel like it's some sort of top secret bar for VIPs, like the speak easy of old. The bartenders interact with everyone and the craftsmanship of the cocktails is not to be matched. Also I would say the potency is out of this world. I actually woke up dizzy the next morning just from having two of them (on a full stomach and with lots of water I might add). The bar seems to have a lot of couples and groups. If you are alone, it's OK to play on your phone but DO NOT talk on it while there. That is a major faux paux and I love this rule. So be prepared, you might have to actually interact with others! As an additional note, I really enjoyed going to a bar for once that did not have screaming millennials who think it's OK to be disruptive after having one drink. People here know how to behave and that is rare these days.

Reviewed 25 May 2017

Wow! This is the first place I feel great about giving 5 STARS too!
The discrete entrance sets the tone for a great night and you enter the main room with high backed chairs and set out so intimate nooks are created everywhere. The bar is low lighted so nothing glaring is apparent.
Everyone looks good here that is for sure- even before consumption as well.
Cocktail list was great- I had the Back-Up PLan followed up with an off-piste selection of the Paloma that they made graciously.
Great points of attitude and very well educated staff- everyone knows there stuff here. This experience is worth the investment of discovering it and attending.

Reviewed 18 May 2017

Exceeded my expectations! Loved it. From the front entrance to their dim (almost pitch black) ambience inside. The drinks were to die for. The staff was awesome. And the music was amazing. A must when looking for a sexy, date night spot.

Reviewed 17 May 2017

Violet Hour lives up to her reputation! Do sit at the bar and watch the performance. The bartender shakes one drink with one hand while she stirs another drink with the other. I loved my shaken rum drink "That Awkward Moment". It was a bit spicy with warm undertones. Went back another night for their "Old Fashioned." This drink's huge slice of lemon rind adhering to the glass added the lemon scent to the experience. Drink at the Violet Hour slowly and savor! Treat your taste buds! So civilized. Great low-key music and ambiance. Perfect for conversation! We went on a Thursday and a Sunday. We couldn't get into waiting on lines on Friday and Saturday nights.

1  Thank Karen G