“One of the best cocktail bars anywhere”
Review of The Violet Hour

The Violet Hour
Ranked #219 of 9,812 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Wicker Park / Bucktown
Reviewed 21 July 2017

The Violet Hour is a great place. The cocktails are of the highest level and the atmosphere it great. The have some 'House Rules' that help to keep away types that aren't into this kind of establishment. Basically they don't want you on your cell phone or in general to act inappropriately. The seating is controlled so if there's four people in your party you get a table with four chairs, no standing/wondering around like it's a meat market. There's a few more things and I know this might seem constrictive but in reality it keeps the Violet Hour and it's customers focused on the experience of drinking some of the best cocktails you'll have anywhere. Recommended!

Reviewed 15 July 2017

Once you find this no-signage place, you enter into a different world for drinking. The drinks are pricey, but I know of no other place that has the most educated and creative bartenders in Chicago. Sure, you say,....but it's true!, and I DO love my drink! Of course, I understand that there are many wonderful bartenders in Chicago, I know some to be sure, but few raise the artistic and creative level of drink making to such sensory driven heights. I love this place!!!!!

Reviewed 11 July 2017

If you don't mind waiting outside for a while before being seated at the Violet Hour, this is the place to go to in Chicago for tasty cocktails at a reasonable price! The cocktails are as good as the much more expensive Aviary and you get to experience amazing drinks in a swell ambiance! The old fashion is really really good, not too strong, not too sweet with amazing flavors served with a giant ice ball... My favorite drink there!

Reviewed 30 June 2017

Had a great time at the Violet Hour. Probably not cool enough for the place, but the waiter was very nice and helpful. We didn't have to wait at all as it was a Sunday and they were not busy. I enjoyed all the drinks and snacks we ordered. My friend was less than impressed with her first drink and they made her a totally new one. Pricey, but it would be more of a special night out rather than your normal neighborhood bar.

Reviewed 30 May 2017

This was my second visit and was very pleased as last time. It was a Friday night with a line to get in, but the door person is very efficient at getting people in as seats open. I did not personally mind waiting as I knew to expect it, as with many popular establishments in this city. What sets this place apart from a typical bar is the atmosphere and cocktail selection. As others said, it's dimly lit but kind of mysterious when you go in. You feel like it's some sort of top secret bar for VIPs, like the speak easy of old. The bartenders interact with everyone and the craftsmanship of the cocktails is not to be matched. Also I would say the potency is out of this world. I actually woke up dizzy the next morning just from having two of them (on a full stomach and with lots of water I might add). The bar seems to have a lot of couples and groups. If you are alone, it's OK to play on your phone but DO NOT talk on it while there. That is a major faux paux and I love this rule. So be prepared, you might have to actually interact with others! As an additional note, I really enjoyed going to a bar for once that did not have screaming millennials who think it's OK to be disruptive after having one drink. People here know how to behave and that is rare these days.