“Elegant Hidden Gem in Wicker Park”
Review of The Violet Hour

The Violet Hour
Ranked #219 of 9,812 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Wicker Park / Bucktown
Reviewed 16 August 2017

My husband and I visited The Violet Hour as part of a "secret bar tour." We actually walked right by it to meet our host and never would have known it was there. The door is painted the same color as the wall (which is repainted weekly by a new artist) and is lit by a single lamp. There is no sign. The lighting is dim as soon as you walk in and you have to walk through thick curtains to get to the main area, which is lit by candles and chandeliers. The unique high back seating is elegant and comfortable. I loved the speakeasy feel of the whole place. The cocktails were delicious. I wish we could have spent more time here. We will definitely be back on our next visit to Chicago.

1  Thank Abbey B

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Beautiful decor, excellent & friendly service, outstanding cocktails. Three of us sat at the bar and enjoyed the show: the bartenders really know their stuff and we had a lot of fun chatting with them. The decor is really lovely and interesting -- tons of flattering candles all around. We went on a Weds evening and waited just a few moments to get in. There is a doorman that talks to the hostess to find a spot for you, they usher you in and make you feel pretty special. Not for the cargo shorts set, this is a nice place to get a bit dressed up (you don't need black tie though). Also not for the budget conscious --Violet Hour is for indulging yourself & your friends/date/family -- and it's really worth it!

Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

This is definitely one of the coolest bars I've ever been to. It's won tons if awards and could be intimidating.

However, we found the staff to be fantastic, very enthusiastic about their "craft" and helped us pick the best drinks to match our taste. James was great and our other server sat with us for a minute listening to a story being told at our table.

While the drinks are usually $10-$15 each there's a good amount of alcohol in each and super tasty.

We had a blast and we will be back.

Reviewed 21 July 2017

The Violet Hour is a great place. The cocktails are of the highest level and the atmosphere it great. The have some 'House Rules' that help to keep away types that aren't into this kind of establishment. Basically they don't want you on your cell phone or in general to act inappropriately. The seating is controlled so if there's four people in your party you get a table with four chairs, no standing/wondering around like it's a meat market. There's a few more things and I know this might seem constrictive but in reality it keeps the Violet Hour and it's customers focused on the experience of drinking some of the best cocktails you'll have anywhere. Recommended!

Reviewed 15 July 2017

Once you find this no-signage place, you enter into a different world for drinking. The drinks are pricey, but I know of no other place that has the most educated and creative bartenders in Chicago. Sure, you say,....but it's true!, and I DO love my drink! Of course, I understand that there are many wonderful bartenders in Chicago, I know some to be sure, but few raise the artistic and creative level of drink making to such sensory driven heights. I love this place!!!!!