Chicago's Essex Inn
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness centre
  • Breakfast included
2,090 results
All reviewsgrant parkthe museum campusmichigan avenuesoldier fieldheating systembuckingham fountainwithin walking distancenavy pierindoor poolthe loopwillis towerexercise roomart institutethe beanview of the lakefew blocksthe magnificent mile
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I enjoyed our stay here. Great place for the price. Location is excellent. We were able to walk almost anywhere we wanted to go including, Millennium Park, Navy Pier, Miracle Mile, St. Patrick's Day parade, several parks and more. Basically, any type of restaurant you could imagine is in walking distance. We used an UBER a few times when it was too chilly or far to walk. Chinatown, The Comedy Bar and House of Blues were all a short, inexpensive Uber ride from the hotel. Our view of the sunrise over the lake was amazing from the 15th floor.

Our room was clean and had an amazing view of Lake Michigan, Navy Pier and several parks. The entire front desk crew was incredibly friendly and helpful, especially Michelle L. who went above and beyond, especially when we wanted to book our room for an extra night. We would definitely stay here again just for the customer service.

CONS: The hotel could use some updating and I believe they are in the process of doing just that. There's a great deal of construction going on next door so be aware of that. The refrigerator and safe was great, but wish we would have had a microwave, and the ice machine didn't work on the 15th floor. Just a short trip to the 14th floor though for that. No biggie. Also, we did miss our maid service and had to ask for fresh towels but that was partially our own fault for having the Do Not Disturb sign on the door most of the day. Still, the maid service could be better. Not a deal-breaker for us though.

Room Tip: Rooms on Michigan Street have the best view.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Randy B
Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

So there’s always reasons to review. You loved it! Or hated it? Right? Well this place was in a GREAT location. But we were underwhelmed by the room, by the experience in general. It was my girlfriends birthday weekend. I emailed the hotel a few weeks ahead asking for some concierge services to make it special. They emailed me back saying “contact this local florist”? Um, ok? The website link was dead. Kind of like my request. I told them I would pay extra. They lost me there.

The hotel is going thru HUGE expansion next door. Tons of construction traffic. (You don’t see that online or when you book) the cement trucks were so loud. Don’t get a room on the 8th st side.

The room was outdated. Needs upgrades. The toilet was low to the ground, The sink small too. The place is tired. I will say the bed was comfy.

The cable or dish TV was poor. Often not working, no guide to explain where to go for what channels?

The bellmen were great. The location great and I mean that. Close to a lot of things to do. The future upgrades are coming it appears. But be aware when you book it’s not always what you see in pictures.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DSWeimar
Reviewed 14 March 2018

I have NEVER reviewed a hotel before but I felt I had to warn others from this hotel.
The carpets are filthy, the sheets were not changed and the shower had used bottles of shampoo and cream rinse in it. Sleeping was impossible as the walls are so thin that we heard all who entered our floor. Be Warned!!!

Room Tip: Filthy stay away
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank thebrothersmom
Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

I had a very nice stay. Pleasantly surprised at how nice it was for the cost. Staff was friendly. Location was incredible. Close enough to everything to walk but far enough that parking was reasonable.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kaitlin W
Reviewed 13 March 2018

Ok hotel in Chicago in need of a refurbishments. Our room was a bit outdated but ok. We did have some view of the lac with big floor to ceiling windows. There is a building, construction site right outside the hotel but we could not hear anything from where we were. The service was good and fast.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business