5 people are viewing this hotel
US$128
Expedia.comUS$134
TravelocityUS$134
Agoda.comUS$154
All reviews grant park le meridien front desk bluetooth speaker espresso machine bathroom mirror huge tv great amenities beautiful hotel checking in upon check michigan ave lake view mini fridge location is great bellman toiletries
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 November 2022 via mobile

The day prior to check in I sent a note that this stay would be my final nights to achieve lifetime platinum status. They put me on the top floor facing the lake, really appreciated. It’s a small room but retro and well appointed. Lobby and restaurant have a boutique ambiance. Overall I liked the hotel and would stay here again. Easy to get taxis and the CTA buses which I recommend.

Room tip: Taxis and buses right outside, subway and L a couple blocks away, gets you to Rush street in 10-15 min much easier than Uber.
Trip type: Travelled on business
Larry Irving, General Manager at Le Meridien Essex Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2022

Hi Kevin W. — Congratulations on reaching Platinum Elite status! We value your loyalty and are thrilled we were able to provide a comfortable stay for your time in Chicago. From our central location to our boutique vibe, we're happy to hear you had a nice experience. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest, and we hope you give us an opportunity in hosting you again, whenever your travels bring you back to Chicago.

Reviewed 14 November 2022

Great stay, good location to see a show and dinner. Willie at the front desk was very accommodating! Close to the park, museums and millennium park. Rooms were clean and looked to be recently updated. Would definitely stay again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Larry Irving, General Manager at Le Meridien Essex Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2022

Hi Katie T. — Thank you for your kind review and for visiting us recently! We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us. From our friendly and welcoming team members, like Willie, to our great location and clean rooms — we're happy to know you had a great experience. Thanks again for your recommendation and please visit us again soon!

Reviewed 10 November 2022 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for 6 nights for a conference at McCormick place. The proximity and location of the hotel are key drivers of the choice— east to get to McCormick and east to get to the various restaurant venues that were hosting events.

I am a Marriott platinum member and as a member, due to the destination fee, the main benefit I received was two bottled waters. That said, I did arrive at noon the first day and they were able to accommodate me and place me in a room and I was able to get a 12pm checkout on the last day. I was unable to get a straight answer at check-in as to what benefits the destination fee would provide. The only thing the front desk person said was $15 off breakfast every day, but as I was in town for a conference, I had breakfast at McCormick every day and had no value from their breakfast.

When I informed them I was noise sensitive at check in and wanted to confirm the room would be quiet, they said they could give me ear plugs. I knew I was in trouble then.

The sleep quality of my first three nights were terrible. One night there were cars or motorcycles doing wheelies and or donuts on Michigan Ave at 2, 3, 4am in the morning. Not something the hotel can control. Second night some inebriated guests leaned or landed on my door had an extended conversation in the hallway and stole my do not disturb sign. Third night I was able to fall asleep but woke up around 3 or so when the room next door had trouble sleeping and the two kids started playing games and watching tv to occupy themselves since they couldn’t sleep and unfortunately I could hear everything they were doing. By the fifth and sixth night I was so tired I was able to sleep as soon as I plopped down in bed and overslept my alarms but was able to sleep through the street noises with a few moments of intermittent waking and sleeping.

At checkout I raised the issue of the destination fee again. I was informed more clearly the fee benefits have a value of over $70 covers the in-room espresso coffees every day of which I consumed zero, access to super fast internet for all guests, the $15 restaurant credit, 2 hours of bike rental at an unknown offsite bike shop where available which I assume is walking distance from the hotel, daily personal training from someone I believe at a health center offsite but again how to access is unclear. I look at this and think they should just charge a higher room rate and remove the destination fee. It makes customers feel like they’ve been scammed. I get it, you list a lower room rack rate and you get the aggregators for corporate and personal travel listing the place as a bargain but the experience is quite diminished. The delta between this hotel and the others did sway me to make the booking here, but I just felt conned every day.

That said, housekeeping seemed great. I didn’t need housekeeping but after my do not disturb sign was swiped housekeeping came on their own and did a lovely job. The wait area for the front desk is tight, small and narrow but looks nice when you are the only person there. If there are more than 2 people it gets crowded.

I liked the room decor and interior, both the bathroom and room layout were well designed and functional. I especially liked the chair and ottoman. I didn’t need it but my room came with iron and ironing board. I liked the shower amenities very much, it is a brand that I like. Staff is amiable enough minus the clear obfuscation relating to the destination fee.

If I had another weeklong engagement at McCormick I would consider staying here again given proximity and the location. Taxi stand is right across the street and very convenient to get around. There are a lot of hotels in Chicago so there isn’t a lack of choice, it would just depend on what I have going on. The hotel would benefit from adding in weather strips to the windows as I think that would help with some of the car noise penetration going into the room from the street.

Room tip: Bring ear plugs and noise cancelling headphone if you are sensitive to sounds
Trip type: Travelled on business
Larry Irving, General Manager at Le Meridien Essex Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2022

Dear Susan — We recognize your time is valuable and appreciate the feedback you have provided. In order to better uphold our commitment to deliver an exceptional experience we have shared your feedback with our hotel leadership team to investigate this further. Please reach out to frontdesk@lemeridienessexchicago.com and allow us the chance to learn more and improve upon your experience. Thanks again for your time and feedback.

Reviewed 9 November 2022 via mobile

Larry greeted me in the morning. I took a red eye and got in early morning. I was prepared to leave my bags and check in late afternoon. He went out of his way to check if there was early availability and helped to accommodate making my day so much easier. He understands customer service and kindness and because of him the Marriott Bonvoy brand is elevated for me and I would come back. Thank you Larry!

Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear Naazneen F — Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with us. We're thrilled to hear you had a wonderful stay. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest, and I hope you give us an opportunity in hosting you again, whenever your travels bring you back to the area.

Reviewed 8 November 2022

We have just returned from an absolutely fabulous weekend. I can not for the LIFE of me figure out where these awful reviews have come from!
From my first contact with Christina (front desk manager), to check in with Teyonna to the exemplary service Gavin gave us it was truly one of the BEST stays I have ever had in the city! Teyonna did share with us they had lost a couple of key administrative positions recently. I did share with her the negative reviews from as far back as July to present on several review platforms. She did take notes to pass along. She was genuinely concerned. A very impressive employee.
We were in town for the Bears game. My daughter and son in law joined us in our room Sunday morning for some pre gaming. The Grant Bistro also provided EXEMPLARY room service!! We overslept a bit and I needed some provisions stat. I have truly NEVER experienced the level of service both the Teyonna and The Grant Bistro employee (I did not get her name!) provided. I first spoke with Teyonna and was personally called by the bistro employee around 8:15 a.m. I might had the weather was absolutely sunshiny fabulous and the bistro was slammed at this hour. This lovely bistro employee expressed that she would personally have our order to us in TEN MINUTES. She certainly did deliver on that promise! Unbelievable.
Again.....these wretched reviews. I SO don't get it. Our room was an absolutely extraordinary park/lake view room. Now, we are platinum elite members but I made it a point to keep my eayes and ears open to any and all guests. Everyone was happy. I saw no issues with the check in lines. The lobby is lovely; not "cramped" at all! There were absolutely no issues controlling the air in our room. I certainly did not detect any sign of "mildew", odor or otherwise, anywhere (elevator/hallways/rooms) in the hotel.
Also ~ housekeeping has to be requested no matter where you stay these days. We had no issues getting anything we needed.
Both my husband and myself were absolutely blown away with this property. We will be right here for future city stays. Great, great, GREAT property!!!

Date of stay: November 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Larry Irving, General Manager at Le Meridien Essex Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2022

Hi steve20 — On behalf of the entire hotel team, thank you for sharing about your great stay! It is always encouraging to hear positive feedback. We strive to deliver excellent customer service in all aspects throughout the hotel and we’re happy to hear our team, and the team at Grant Park Bistro, really hit the mark during your stay! Your feedback has been shared with the team as a way of celebrating the great guest experiences we delivered. Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Chicago.