“Good Location, but...”

Ambassador Chicago
Ranked #95 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
“Good Location, but...”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

To start off, the location is amazing. Close to everything, without the hustle and bustle of Michigan Ave. When we arrived, the doormen where very polite. We had our 2 yearold with us, in a stroller. As others have mentioned, upon entering the hotel, one MUST use steps. Not many, but steps none the less. The doorman helped carry the stroller up the steps. Once we got our bags to our room, we were very disappointed in the size. The bed is almost to large for the room. In the room, I did not have enough space to take a full step without running into something. Our view was ok. Nothing spectacular. After traveling all day, we went down to the Pump Room for dinner. It was around 7pm. We had just traveled and we were wearing jeans and polos. Almost half of the tables that we could see where open. We were told they had reservation wait lists for many hours. I left thinking it was because we were underdressed. The doorman who helped with the stroller helped us find a place to eat. When we got back, it was different doormen. They were counting their tips and never even acknowledged us. As others have mentioned the walls are very thin. I could hear the TV and conversations of rooms around us. The mattress was harder than I prefer. After check out, we left our bags at the hotel. When we returned to pick them up, there was no greeting or assistance with the stroller from the doormen. We had to hail our cab as well. They were just standing around shooting the bull. I'm not sure if I would recommend this hotel. I guess I expected more from a 4-star hotel. My largest complaint is the size of the room. Way to small for me. It was probably the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank TylerDub87
PUBLIC_Manager, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Thank you for providing us with your candid feedback on your recent stay. We apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations and have made note of your concerns. If you would like to visit us again, please feel free to contact me directly for personal assistance with your reservation.

Peter Walterspiel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Lakeville, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 February 2012

What a fantastic experience! We were greeted and taken very good care of by Amy who upgraded our room without an extra charge. This was much appreciated because then we had more money to spend in Chicago. The room was funky and fun with a beautiful view. Everything was wonderful. Would love to stay there again!

Room Tip: don't be afraid to ask for what you need.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
PUBLIC_Manager, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
We are thrilled to read that we were able to go above and beyond your expectations and that this allowed for you to thoroughly enjoy your time while visiting Chicago! We look forward to your return visit.

Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I had a little trouble finding the hotel since I thought the entrance was on North State, but ultimately figured it out. Parking with valet is about $10 more than lot across the street but you have in/out privileges and its covered. Check in was very courteous although as previously noted there was no description given of the property (ie: restaurants, gym,etc).
I was in Chicago for business and had been up for 14 hours already by the time arrived so I was tired and hungry and just wanted to try out the Pump Room and go to bed. They offer a Happy Hour from 5:00 -7:00 so the bar was packed but when I spoke to the host he was able to offer me a seat immediately at the communal chefs table (it seats 12-14 and there were 5 guys seating at the opposite end but it was still comfortable). Service was a little slow but I enjoyed the people watching and the food was worth the wait. My entree had just arrived when the host came over to say they were going to seat 9 ppl but they would be happy to seat me at my own table. I did not think that was necessary and actually enjoyed meeting some ppl in the group!
Rooms are modern but well appointed. My only complaint is my room was directly next to the elevator and the bed was against that wall. I was really tired so the noise did not keep me awake but you could clearly hear it going up and down ( beware if your room ends in 01).
Check out was easy and the valets were very helpful in providing directions.
I will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
It was our pleasure to host you as our guest and we are thank you for providing us with your great insight from your recent stay. We are glad you had the opportunity to dine in the Pump Room and that our staff was able to accommodate you during your rather lengthy day.

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back again!

Reviewed 17 February 2012

Great experience - from the staff to the hotel to the restaurant to the coffee bar. We'll stay here forever when we visit Chicago.

• Stayed February 2012
Thank you for your great feedback! We truly enjoy hearing from our guests and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience at PUBLIC Chicago. We can not wait to welcome you back again during your next visit to Chicago.

los angeles, ca
Reviewed 17 February 2012

The Schrager crowd (guests not staff) all grown up! happy to see a more cosmopolitan crowd and less dancing twenty-somethings in the lobby and hallways upstairs.

Room service from The Pump Room by Jean-Georges is the best room service one can hope for from a hotel.

All in all it was a pleasant experience, I enjoyed the residential location as well as the decor and the fact that there is a Jean-Georges outpost on site.

Somewhere the tag line "At PUBLIC, service matters most." doesn't quite translate successfully. The staff, although attentive, is not quite there in terms of anticipating a guest's needs. A birthday cake was delivered right after check in without silverware or plates to eat it with. A quick call to the front desk did solved the problem in less than 10 minutes.

I requested said cake in the afternoon the day before my arrival so the hotel was not able to accommodate my request. The concierge was at a loss as well. I had to suggest to her to see if there were any bakeries near by which could come thru. I was able to arrange for the cake from 35,000 feet in the air at 5:00 AM with Sarah's. I would think that a good concierge would have been able to manage it from less than 1/2 mile away.

If the hotel were not to bill itself as a "new breed" focused on "service" then I would have given them all 5 stars, for location, ambiance and Jean-Georges' outpost. But when they are so focused on selling themselves as a service institution and then come short, I simply cannot be an 100% fan.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DZONELB
Since opening our doors as PUBLIC Chicago we have received great feedback in response to the quality of service we are known to deliver. It is unfortunate to read that during your stay that the level of service you did receive was not up to your expectations. We can guarantee that we are investigating this matter.