On a recent trip to Chicago I wanted a room close to the Art Institute and the theater district. The Silversmith looked perfect. I booked about a month in advance of my visit. I checked in at 9:00PM and was meeting some friends for dinner so only had time to drop my bag. I arrived back to my room a little after midnight. At this point I discovered that my room overlooked the train tracks.
From midnight to 3:00AM the trains returned to the station passing my room every 7 minutes. I am not a light sleeper but this was ridiculous. Earplugs and a pillow were ineffective. I would have asked for another room, but first I thought the carnival of trains would end and by the time I realized it wouldn't, it was late enough that the idea of packing and moving was too annoying.
I should point out that the hotel itself is beautiful. The room was large, clean and well maintained. The location is perfect and the staff is friendly and helpful. Except for the noise I would give the hotel five stars.
I wrote the manager but never got a reply. I also filled out their review form and got no reply. My advice to anyone going to Chicago is either find a different hotel (I recommend the Knickerbocker) or insist on a room that doesn't face Wabash.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy exceptional service, a warm and elegant setting with an unparalleled location in downtown Chicago. The Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown is a a rare gem, that is encased in classical architecture and sparkling with a new choice of luxury through contemporary spacious guest rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Silversmith Hotel Chicago
- The Silversmith Hotel And Suites
- Silversmith Hotel Chicago