“Sleepless night in Chicago”

Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown
Ranked #24 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 1 October 2017

On a recent trip to Chicago I wanted a room close to the Art Institute and the theater district. The Silversmith looked perfect. I booked about a month in advance of my visit. I checked in at 9:00PM and was meeting some friends for dinner so only had time to drop my bag. I arrived back to my room a little after midnight. At this point I discovered that my room overlooked the train tracks.

From midnight to 3:00AM the trains returned to the station passing my room every 7 minutes. I am not a light sleeper but this was ridiculous. Earplugs and a pillow were ineffective. I would have asked for another room, but first I thought the carnival of trains would end and by the time I realized it wouldn't, it was late enough that the idea of packing and moving was too annoying.

I should point out that the hotel itself is beautiful. The room was large, clean and well maintained. The location is perfect and the staff is friendly and helpful. Except for the noise I would give the hotel five stars.

I wrote the manager but never got a reply. I also filled out their review form and got no reply. My advice to anyone going to Chicago is either find a different hotel (I recommend the Knickerbocker) or insist on a room that doesn't face Wabash.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the train.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
RemGuestServices1258, Guest Relations Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. We apologize that no one has been in contact with you regarding your stay. We have reviewed your comments with our team to make sure that there is no miscommunication on how we handle guests' reviews. We apologize for the noise, even though we cannot control the train schedule, we could have helped with the noise by moving your room. We hope you will give us another try. Please do not hesitate to reach out to our General Manager, Frank Leone at frank.leone@silversmithhotel.com to make sure your next stay is five-stars.

Reviewed 28 September 2017

we stayed here to attend theater productions. Conveniently located, we walked to most everything. The sincere friendliness of the folks at the front desk was exemplary . They truly cared about us and our comfort .

Room Tip: If you are attending Hamilton, this hotel is within walking distance . I recommend it.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2017

The Silversmith is truly a hidden gem. An absolutely beautiful property. Very centrally located. All staff was very helpful and very professional. Patty and Beverly at the front desk were always there to answer questions and give us directions to where we were going. Housekeeping did a wonderful job. Rooms were beautifully decorated. Bed very comfortable. Would like to have seen more seating. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

We stayed for two nights at the Silversmith hotel while in Chicago to see Hamilton. The L stop is literally right out front, so traveling back and forth to the airport (Midway) was easy and cheap. Inside the hotel is beautifully decorated and very clean. Our rooms were comfortable and well supplied. Front staff was friendly and eager to help and answer any questions we had. Would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2017

Decent sized rooms, good WiFi and a great location. No noise in our room despite the L Train Loop going right passed. 10 minutes walk from the start of the Magnificent Mile Shopping on Madison Ave. Even less to the Art Institute and "The Bean". All in all an excellent choice based on the cost. Staff were all friendly although the Breakfast looked a waste as there are much better options all around.

Room Tip: Hard to Say
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple