“A Great Stay in a Outstanding Locatgion”

Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown
Ranked #22 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 3 October 2017

A shiny, nice small hotel in a great location. Pleasant rooms (great towels), a warm, friendly and helpful professional staff. The bar had excellent service with, again, a friendly and professional staff. the snacks very surprisingly good.
Two minor knocks. The room definitely could have used a good chair. The couch and "fainting lounge" (if anyone knows what that is!) were attractive, but very, very low and hard to get out of. The other problem was that there was no bar/café service in the afternoon.

Room Tip: in the "back" away from the El, although sound proofing is excellen.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,149)

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

The hotel is beautifully decorated with modern rooms. Loved the comfy bed and the large walk in shower.

The staff was friendly and eager to offer assistance.

Often boutique seems to mean old, but this is a hidden contemporary gem. Best boutique hotel I've stayed at in Chicago and will be back.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2017

On a recent trip to Chicago I wanted a room close to the Art Institute and the theater district. The Silversmith looked perfect. I booked about a month in advance of my visit. I checked in at 9:00PM and was meeting some friends for dinner so only had time to drop my bag. I arrived back to my room a little after midnight. At this point I discovered that my room overlooked the train tracks.

From midnight to 3:00AM the trains returned to the station passing my room every 7 minutes. I am not a light sleeper but this was ridiculous. Earplugs and a pillow were ineffective. I would have asked for another room, but first I thought the carnival of trains would end and by the time I realized it wouldn't, it was late enough that the idea of packing and moving was too annoying.

I should point out that the hotel itself is beautiful. The room was large, clean and well maintained. The location is perfect and the staff is friendly and helpful. Except for the noise I would give the hotel five stars.

I wrote the manager but never got a reply. I also filled out their review form and got no reply. My advice to anyone going to Chicago is either find a different hotel (I recommend the Knickerbocker) or insist on a room that doesn't face Wabash.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the train.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
RemGuestServices1258, Guest Relations Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. We apologize that no one has been in contact with you regarding your stay. We have reviewed your comments with our team to make sure that there is no miscommunication on how we handle guests' reviews. We apologize for the noise, even though we cannot control the train schedule, we could have helped with the noise by moving your room. We hope you will give us another try. Please do not hesitate to reach out to our General Manager, Frank Leone at frank.leone@silversmithhotel.com to make sure your next stay is five-stars.

Reviewed 28 September 2017

we stayed here to attend theater productions. Conveniently located, we walked to most everything. The sincere friendliness of the folks at the front desk was exemplary . They truly cared about us and our comfort .

Room Tip: If you are attending Hamilton, this hotel is within walking distance . I recommend it.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2017

The Silversmith is truly a hidden gem. An absolutely beautiful property. Very centrally located. All staff was very helpful and very professional. Patty and Beverly at the front desk were always there to answer questions and give us directions to where we were going. Housekeeping did a wonderful job. Rooms were beautifully decorated. Bed very comfortable. Would like to have seen more seating. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple