4 people are viewing this hotel
US$128
Hotels.comUS$149
travelup.comUS$192
Destinia.comUS$407
All reviews the loop wine hour office building welcome amenity rooftop restaurant beautiful hotel soaking tub business district millennium park first floor art institute street level perfect stay room was spacious front desk staff willis tower the entire staff
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 November 2022 via mobile

I stayed here two nights, having come to town by train for The Chicago Symphony. Don’t get me wrong, this is a very nice hotel, but it is kind of austere with the historic office building decor, although the “ living room “ lobby is attractive. Frankly, I prefer the other Kimpton in town, the Monaco, with its warm fuzzy decor. The room was comfortable and the staff cordial and helpful.

Date of stay: November 2022
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank EAZELIFF
Alexis Napoleon, Owner at Kimpton Gray Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2022

Good Morning EAZELIFF,

Thank you for the review and the kind words! We are so thrilled to hear you were able to call the Gray home for the few nights you were in the City! The Historical building where we live, was built in 1983 and started as office buildings. The historical feel with the modern twist is something that when designing the Gray they thought about. We hope we are able to host you again soon for another occasion. Thank you again!

Best,

Reviewed 24 October 2022 via mobile

The Gray had a reputation from the reviews I read before arriving as "an heritage hotel" within IHG stable.I think it was rated 5 stars and the position, inside the "loop" look promising. I guess changing an ort deco office block into an hotel will always be a challenge. However with 5 stars i expected some usual services. The staf were friendly but few. The entrance was small and with no feel of a hotel. The reception was on the second floor but what caused my disappointment was the lack of any dinning room no breakfast nor dinner available and the prices were sky high.

Room tip: No kitchen, no coffee and no loo brush
Trip type: Travelled on business
Alexis Napoleon, Owner at Kimpton Gray Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2022

Good afternoon ChrisMcHugo,

Thank you for taking the time to write the review and give your feedback. The Gray has a great location being the center of the Loop. With easy access to lots of neighboring location in Chicago for meetings or events! We have breakfast (the Fillmore) available everyday Monday - friday from 7am-10am and Saturday and Sunday 7am-12pm. We hope you give the Gray a second chance to win you over. We truly are here to make memories and celebrate.

Reviewed 21 October 2022

Thank you to the Gray for being our place to stay between houses in Chicago! This is a long overdue but well-deserved review.

I can't believe that there are any bad reviews for this hotel - I have to disagree with all of them (and I was here for weeks so definitely saw it all). The hotel exudes Chicago and you feel at home from the minute you walk in and see the marble staircase to the time you meet the most welcoming hotel staff I have ever known to the time you check into your stylish bedroom.

The lobby is well designed in art deco style and the perfect place to grab your morning coffee or tea along with free muffins in front of the fireplace. If Fido is with you, he/she is welcome to hang out in the lobby and get spoiled by the hotel staff and guests. (Hint - people on vacations are missing their dog so they will be more than happy to give yours attention!). Added benefit of ZERO additional fees to bring your pet (as is true of all Kimptons) and...best part of all...evening wine hour with good quality wines.

However, it is truly the staff that make this hotel what it is. I have traveled all over the world (over 50 countries) and can say that this is the best service we have ever had - the people who greet you at the door, the reception, the cleaning crew, etc, etc, etc,. I wish I had everyone's name as they each deserve a round of applause; however a thanks to Alexandra - the office manager for running a great ship and Ginger says thanks to Shea for her daily pets. I wish I had a video to share about how excited she would get each time she went to the lobby to see him. In fact, I don't know if I or the dog miss it there more!

Thanks Kimpton Gray!

Date of stay: August 2022
1  Thank Julie R

Good afternoon C5982GTjulier,

We are so happy you had a blast at the Gray! We really strive everyday to make some amazing moments with our guests and pets! Haha That is something we love working at Kimptons - is for the pets that travel. Something about seeing a pet while at work or traveling, is really special. Our Morning Kickstart and social hour is a big hit too! Thank you again for your comments and review! We hope to host you again soon.

Reviewed 21 October 2022

Decent hotel in the loop that is 2 blocks from the blue CTA line so getting here from the airport is easy and inexpensive. Check in could be smoother (my honors number was not in, the receptionist seemed preoccupied, I had to come back because my keys did not work). Sam the bellman is gone and that is a hug loss since he was great. I do like the wine happy hour at 5:00 and the location. The room is decent but depending where your room is located it can be very loud. Guests need to be quiet and not shout in the hallways. There is a Starbucks on the first floor.

Room tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators and the marble floor since it is loud.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Walter O

Good afternoon waltero964,

We are so glad to have you back in Chicago and picking the Gray to stay! Location is really awesome, right in the center of the Loop. I am so happy you were able to meet Sam - He is really an awesome person and such a kind heart! We are so proud of him and miss him dearly. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 14 October 2022

We had a nice three night stay. The hotel has a great location, friendly service and a welcoming and complimentary happy hour in the lovely lounge. The main thing I marked it down for was the rather limp flow of water from the shower, which surprisingly the drain was only just able to cope with. The hairdryer was OK, something I always look out for.

• Trip type: Travelled on business

Good afternoon pants1969,

Thank you for the review and the feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the Gray and was able to experience Chicago. Please let us know when items like the water pressure occur - We would have our engineers investigate asap! Also, we have salon quality hair dryers available upon request. Hope we will be able to host you again , next time you are in Chicago.

Best,