“Over expectations!”

Oba Contemporary Japanese
Ranked #64 of 187 Restaurants in Des Plaines
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 6 February 2015 via mobile

Simple place, suburbs of Chicago, only two opinions at TripAdvisor (good, but just two).
It was a surprise for the group of five of us. We ordered food to share and individual plates. I couldn't believe how beautiful the presentation, lots of care by sushi man.
Very fresh seafood, fish and vegetables.
Two days a week for lunch, $1 sushi (if I remember well, Tuesdays and Thursdays).
Saved as a preference for when I'm back to Des Plaines.

1  Thank Andre D

Reviewed 17 January 2015 via mobile

We were in town for the night and looked to Trip Advisor to find a restaurant near us. Oba looked good so we gave it a try. Good choice.
It is a bit tricky to find if approaching from the south. The Good-Year next door has a much more prominent sign.
The decor is modern Japanese and subdued. Interesting music choice though, kind of Sirius Hits 1 without the yammering DJs.
We ordered the Sunset California, Dragon, and Spider rolls. We also had mackeral, tuna and eel ngiri. Our daughter had the shrimp bento box. All of the sushi was fresh and excellent. The portions were generous. The bento box was huge, be sure to come with an appetite! Our server was Dan. He was attentive but not overbearing. Complimentary fried tofu amuse buche started the meal and a tablespoon sized scoop of good vanilla finished the meal. Nice touches.
Overall, dinner was excellent, the staff was friendly and helpful and it was a good value. Bill was $120 including tip, our order above and 2 large Sapporo beers.
Be sure to go if you are in Des Plaines.

Reviewed 12 January 2015

We were in Des Plaines waiting to pick up our children and wanted to have a bite to eat. We were unfamiliar with the area and found this restaurant on Trip Advisor and decided to give it a try. We were very pleasantly surprised! The staff was attentive and warm. They offered suggestions for different tastes. The variety of sushi was good and the rolls interesting and tasty. There were a number of appetizers that sounded delicious and that we wished we could have tried. My husband, who is not a huge fan of sushi, felt his shrimp Bento box was quite satisfying. We appreciated the complimentary starter and ice cream at the meal's end and thought they added a nice touch to the meal. We wish were closer to Des Plaines!

Reviewed 6 December 2014

My boyfriend and I arrived at Oba for supper and it was very dark, my boyfriend wanted to go somewhere else because the restaurant was in what seemed like a seedy area, but I had read really good reviews so I convinced him to give a try and we're both really glad we did! The inside of the restaurant is kind of small, there was a large group of people and about 3 other couples there. We were quickly seated and brought a menu by the only waitress there, who was very quick and efficient. We ordered an appetizer, Jalapeno Bomb, which was awesome! I had spicy tuna roll (I think it was called the volcano) which was SOOO good, it has to have been the best sushi I've ever had. My boyfriend was equally delighted with his food and we will definitely be going back to Oba when we visit Chicago again!

Reviewed 12 November 2014

My wife organized and hosted a very well attended Veteran's breakfast on 11/11/14 and my twins and I wanted to reward mom for her hard work and dedication by taking her out for her favorite meal- Sushi. We have been here twice before but not with our kids. As usual, they created delicious, fresh and creative rolls that we as a family all shared. The kids truly enjoyed the mix of flavors from sweet fruit toppings to semi-spicy sauces on the rolls we ordered. I also ordered a tasty chicken teriyaki dish that was full of veggies and cruchy topping. They start you with square tofu bites for free and then bring the soup and salad shortly after. The salad has a very tasty, creamy homemade dressing that I believe is made of ginger and carrots. Miso soup was hot and satisfying. We ate specialty rolls but also ordered some regular rolls that were reduced half price or more because of their Monday-Wednesday happy hours from 5 til 6:30. To end our meal, they bring a small mini ice cream scoop which was a great way to finish. All in all, this is a well run, authentic restaurant with an excellent chef and wait staff who feeds you well and is attentive to you as a client. A very good experience for all ages.