“Best burgers and freshest fries in the Chicago area!”
Review of Edzo's Burger Shop

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 1 June 2021

Whenever the conversation turns to "the best burgers in Chicago," somebody always mentions Edzo's Burger Shop in north suburban Evanston. Edzo's was recommended to us by a former newspaper colleague who lives in Evanston. We've never been disappointed. Owner/chef Eddie Lakin offers a creative menu -- what makes a hamburger different from another hamburger? -- that features char-broiled burgers, classic Vienna beef hot dogs, chili dogs, Maxwell-style Polish sandwiches, Sheboygan brats, patty melts and grilled chicken sandwiches. Plus the best tasting fresh-cut fries with sea salt that you've ever had with ketchup. Located at 1571 Sherman Avenue, between Grove and Davis, Edzo's is open from 11 to 8 Tuesday through Saturday and 11 to 4 on Sunday. My recommendations? The BBQ bacon cheddar burger, 4 ounces of ground beef topped with Merkt's cheddar/bacon spread, sliced cheddar, two strips of bacon, BBQ sauce and onion strings. The eight-ounce char burger with onion, lettuce, tomato, pickles, ketchup, mustard and relish. My wife prefers the eight-ounce patty melt on marble rye with American cheese and grilled onions and the grilled chicken sandwich with boneless, skinless chicken breast marinated in Italian seasonings, then char-grilled and topped with lettuce, tomato and mayo on a whole wheat bun. Wash it all down with a chocolate milk shake.

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (213)

Reviewed 11 May 2020 via mobile

Ran out of hamburger buns mid day. Unacceptable! Been there when it was pretty good. Not this time. Fries were all burnt. I wouldn’t have served them.

Date of visit: November 2019
1  Thank Mitjones1954
Reviewed 6 March 2020 via mobile

Ordered single burgers and fries for dinner for family. All wanted something we hadn't eaten in a while. Everything was delicious!! Online ordering was a breeze, but didn't realize that online ordering ends at 7:30pm! I logged in at 7:15pm so I just made it in time!

Date of visit: March 2020
1  Thank Hazel P
Reviewed 13 February 2020

I'm not sure what I expected but the casual somewhat run down burger place we entered wasn't it. Yet, we were looking forward to it so we placed our order at the counter and found a table to sit at. The place is rough around the edges and anything but fancy, even shy of casual. We ordered a maple malt to split. It was so-so. Not strong maple or malt flavor. There were chunks in it that made me wonder if it hadn't been blended enough and maybe the malt mix had clumped up. I ordered chili fries thinking that could be a meal, but the chili was dismal and kind of sparse. More saucy than chili. My daughter ordered the old fries which are supposed to be extra done. They didn't look or taste different than our other fries. We also had garlic fries and those were delish. Burger was ok but not phenomenal. Overall it's not cheap and for the atmosphere, it was a little mis-matched. Maybe if you know what to order (garlic fries) or you get it to go it would be better.
Lastly, it was cold in there. Each time the door opened a blast of air followed it. It could be a better setup than what it is.

Date of visit: February 2020
1  Thank JCJake
Reviewed 8 February 2020 via mobile

Disgusting floors.... no ambiance or feel other than cheap, except it’s not inexpensive. Looks like it’s been here unchanged for fifty years, but it’s only ten years old. It has lousy seating and tables and every time the door opened an ice cold wind came through, despite moving away from the door. It was warm last week when I was here so I can only imagine it here on a cold day

Fries are above average and well cooked, but my 8 ounce char burger was well done, not medium. It had a nice char but balled up.... topping was a huge leaf of lettuce, tasteless tomato, slab of raw onion and some ketchup and mustard.... little care shown in the presentation. My buddy’s grilled double with grilled onions was good but he refused to pop the extra couple bucks for cheese and even gmore for bacon..... table service usually comes with these prices.

Food a three, service two, value two, restaurant one, cleanliness zero..... and you get to pay for parking! As others have noted, it’s a wonder they can pass a heath inspection. Will not return!

Date of visit: February 2020