“week night last minute dinner”
Review of El Molcajete

El Molcajete
Ranked #41 of 149 Restaurants in Geneva
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 20 April 2017

After a long day I met my husband here for dinner- When we arrived about 6 there was only one other table but by 7:30 it was busy. I got the Pastor Taco plate with the corn- very good but small serving.

Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

My husband and I came here with 2 of our friends. We had reservations and were seated immediately. Not a very big place with only a few tables. We were told that in the warmer weather they open up the outdoor seating and it is packed. We ordered drinks and I had a frozen margarita. It had an unusual flavor but was nicely blended and served with a rim of salt. We ordered the guacamole which had nice chunks of avocado but not a lot of flavor. The chips were homemade and crispy but slightly greasy. We also had the mushroom SPOESITOS which were delicious. The crust was light and crunchy and a great base for the filling. Our group had the fajitas which were delicious and served with corn or flour tortillas. The steak was very tender and not tough. I had the pork enchiladas which were a little mushy but tasty. The black beans were fantastic and the Spanish rice was very tasty. The portions were on the large size, so you had enough for leftovers. The Mexican sundae was huge with gobs of whipped cream and a huge scoop of ice cream on top of a cinnamon crust that was delicious. The coffee was strong and hot. The staff was great and helped each other out with the tables. They came by frequently to see if there was anything we needed. Overall a very enjoyable evening.

Reviewed 5 January 2017 via mobile

My family and I were in Galena today. We planned to go to Bien Trucha for lunch, but they were closed due to the holiday. We found this place online and thought we'd try it. Big mistake...

We ordered the taco sampler and fried fish tacos with chipotle corn, poblano rice and drunken beans.

The meat in all of the tacos tasted as if it had been cooked and recooked several times. All of it was really salty. The avocado slices were turning brown too. We couldn't identify which meat each taco had. The fish was so overcooked that it was grainy and mushy. We tried 7 different tacos and the best parts of them were the tortillas.

The sides were a different story. The poblano rice was simple but good. The chipotle corn was great. The beans were not bad but canned rather than fresh. The complimentary chips were good, and not as oily for us as some others experienced. The salsa however, was tasteless- no salt, peppers, onions, or anything.

The waitress was nice and accommodating. However, we won't be returning. Very disappointing. There are a few other Mexican places in the area that are far better.

Reviewed 4 December 2016

Came here for a bit around 9PM on Friday night. There was no waiting even though the restaurant is small. The wait staff were polite and quick. We tried the taco sampler which is 5 different type of tacos. It was plenty for my wife and I to share. They also bring chips and salsa to your table. The sangria was good also. Overall, the food was excellent and the price was reasonable. I would come back again.

1  Thank Scott E
Reviewed 8 October 2016 via mobile

We left Bien Truca after cocktails and guacamole to come try dinner here by recommendation of a friend. We made a mistake. Although El Molcajete is an average run of the mill Mexican restaurant, and you can't really place it in the same category like the Mexican fusion places in the area, there are things that made our experience less enjoyable. 1) the cocktails are sour and hard to drink as a result. 2) the tortilla chips are very oily and the salsa lacks flavor, 3) both of our meals were swimming in grease and we tried to pick around out and dab it off but it became very unappetizing and we couldn't stomach it. Our hands were covered in grease and I was afraid my clothing would get ruined. 4) there was a chemical smell in the restaurant like pinesol that was a turn off. The service was good, friendly people, and we don't mind small places at all so that was no bother to us. But the other things I mentioned will keep us from returning. There are a lot of choices for average Mexican food in the Chicagoland area as an alternative.