“Good Mexican Food”

El Molcajete
Ranked #44 of 151 Restaurants in Geneva
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 28 June 2017

My friend and I have eaten here several times. The food is always good and the service is excellent. This last time, we ate outside, on a flat rooftop. It was extremely pleasant. We had a wonderful server, Lauren, who was quite personable as well as efficient. She and the staff were concerned for our comfort and well-being(wanting to make sure that we weren't too hot as it was a warm, sunny day. My friend had the Mexican sundae for dessert--a dish that we've shared in the past--quite delicious!

Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

We have walked by this restaurant countless times before and noticed the cute red umbrella tables so we thought we'd finally try it today. First of all the building it is inside is dated and uninviting. The restaurant is also not inviting. Ordered tacos but disliked them as well as the rice - left hungry. The bathrooms are down the hall and are also gross.

Reviewed 20 April 2017

After a long day I met my husband here for dinner- When we arrived about 6 there was only one other table but by 7:30 it was busy. I got the Pastor Taco plate with the corn- very good but small serving.

Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

My husband and I came here with 2 of our friends. We had reservations and were seated immediately. Not a very big place with only a few tables. We were told that in the warmer weather they open up the outdoor seating and it is packed. We ordered drinks and I had a frozen margarita. It had an unusual flavor but was nicely blended and served with a rim of salt. We ordered the guacamole which had nice chunks of avocado but not a lot of flavor. The chips were homemade and crispy but slightly greasy. We also had the mushroom SPOESITOS which were delicious. The crust was light and crunchy and a great base for the filling. Our group had the fajitas which were delicious and served with corn or flour tortillas. The steak was very tender and not tough. I had the pork enchiladas which were a little mushy but tasty. The black beans were fantastic and the Spanish rice was very tasty. The portions were on the large size, so you had enough for leftovers. The Mexican sundae was huge with gobs of whipped cream and a huge scoop of ice cream on top of a cinnamon crust that was delicious. The coffee was strong and hot. The staff was great and helped each other out with the tables. They came by frequently to see if there was anything we needed. Overall a very enjoyable evening.

Reviewed 5 January 2017 via mobile

My family and I were in Galena today. We planned to go to Bien Trucha for lunch, but they were closed due to the holiday. We found this place online and thought we'd try it. Big mistake...

We ordered the taco sampler and fried fish tacos with chipotle corn, poblano rice and drunken beans.

The meat in all of the tacos tasted as if it had been cooked and recooked several times. All of it was really salty. The avocado slices were turning brown too. We couldn't identify which meat each taco had. The fish was so overcooked that it was grainy and mushy. We tried 7 different tacos and the best parts of them were the tortillas.

The sides were a different story. The poblano rice was simple but good. The chipotle corn was great. The beans were not bad but canned rather than fresh. The complimentary chips were good, and not as oily for us as some others experienced. The salsa however, was tasteless- no salt, peppers, onions, or anything.

The waitress was nice and accommodating. However, we won't be returning. Very disappointing. There are a few other Mexican places in the area that are far better.