“Lunch stop”
Review of The Drunken Monkey

The Drunken Monkey
Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Grant Park
Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

The food was fabulous and service was good! I had pulled chicken with provolone and an egg on a bun! It was called something like monkey in the henhouse! Either way it was great!
The interior maintained the old tin ceilings and exposed brick walls. Very cool! I would definitely stop again!

Reviewed 3 May 2017

The food is fantastic!!! The pork chop sandwich is pounded out per order and hand breaded. Absolutely delish!!!!!!! The brisket and pulled pork was phenomenal too!! Holly the owner is awesome. Talking with her and learning the history of the building just made our visit even more special. I highly recommend everyone checking out this wondering restaurant. The staff, atmosphere and food all made our experience fantastic!! The price was much lower than average too. We will be back. THank you for a wonderful night out Holly! We had a great time!

Management response:Responded 5 June 2017

Always a pleasure to meet new people.
I'm glad you enjoyed not only the foid, but the history lesson of our lil corner here.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

Food is excellent,pulled pork and brisket are awesome. Tenderloin was perfect. Great service ,very friendly.

Management response:Responded 5 June 2017

Thank you...I'm glad you liked it...
Come back soon

Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

I think the cook is inexperienced as well as the younger wait staff. The menu is too big for this place and they should stick to sandwiches only. They are not experienced enough to do dinners and they don't taste very well. Their sandwiches though or good as well as their appetizers. I think they need professional management and a professional cook. I like having a place local to go to but their dinners are awful. There's smoked meatloaf is really bad as well as their barbecue beef ribs period extremely fatty. Their prime rib that they have occasionally would be much better if they do had a cut a prime rib. We have gone several times now and will continue to go but for hamburgers or pulled pork nothing extravagant period they need to lower their prices on their food items and train people to bring you silverware before your meal comes to you as well as kind of mints before your meal comes to you. I asked for grilled onion for hamburger they literally gave me for little pieces of grilled onion. I hope they can work out the Kinks with this place because like I said it is local and spring and summer is coming. They also have bands that play there in the Acoustics are so bad in there you can't understand what they are singing. They also don't serve appetizers or any food after 9 p.m. period they would make more money there if they did cuz people generally like to eat something when they drink.

Management response:Responded 5 June 2017

Did not realise you were so unhappy with the serve here. You had requested Holly to be the server. But she was cooking the night your party came in. The young server that took care of you was 28. She was a fill in that night. She used to work for and was called on short notice. Our regular waitress was really sick
(She's​ fine)
And the music that was playing... Happen to be our open Jam night ( which we let your party know what time that was starting)
And Big Dig Mercer is well known. He has won awards all over. One in which was the Chicago Blues Hall of Fame. Him and his wife Tammi are awesome people.
And for our ribs...they are pork. We have never served beef ribs... Ever. We pride ourselves in Pork St Louis spare ribs.
And for our menu... It's pretty much simple compared to other place. Short and sweet. Our prices if you compare.. are lower than our competitors.
We don't put ourselves out there for a fancy restaurant. Holly does smoked prime rib on special Occasions.
And for valentine's dinner, Destyne and Holly personally took care of you. It seemed you had a good time. We were even told that the meal was great... And services was awesome.
Holly is the head cook here learned very quickly to serve quality food. Gary and Holly, as well as Michele (manger) and Destyne take pride in the food, quality, and service.
I hope I have straighten some things out here. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us. Enjoy your day.

Reviewed 8 October 2016

We had a meal catered for our daughter's wedding and it turned out excellent! We served 50 and just about ran out of food...but people can back for seconds because it was so good! The BBQ both beef and chicken was seasoned perfectly and very tender. The beans and slaw were also delicious! Received many compliments!

Management response:Responded 5 June 2017

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to cater for you