“Excellent Polish Food”

Janosik Banquets & Restaurant
Reviewed 17 January 2017

We went to Janosik recently and we were really glad we did. My wife and I and another couple stopped in as a spur of the moment decision. The layout is a bit odd as they're also a banquet hall and they don't make obvious which way the restaurant is, beside that the decor is really nice, lots of wood and stone, very "old country". They don't have a host/hostess station, so you just walk in and seat yourself. The server came around just a minute after we sat down with menus and to take drink orders. The menu had several different options in each section (apps, veg, beef, pork etc.). I had pork hocks with sauerkraut and dumplings, my wife had a pork cutlet, breaded and stuffed with ham and cheese. Our friends both had goulash, one with a side of dumplings one with a side of potato pancakes. Everything we tried was pronounced delicious! We didn't try any of the appetizers because we'd decided beforehand to have dessert and we wanted to save a bit of room. The dessert was also great, we all shared cheese blintzes with cherries. Also, the prices were very reasonable with 4 dinners and a couple of drinks each. We walked out for around $80.00. I highly recommend trying Janosik for excellent Polish food at a good price with cool decor.

Reviewed 4 January 2017 via mobile

It is typical polish cuisine. Staff works well and fast. They can speak polish and russian. The portions are enormous

Reviewed 30 September 2016

The staff at Resurrection Cemetery directed us here stating it was the best traditional Polish restaurant in the area, they were right! Took the waiter's recommendation & got the goulash w/potatoe pancakes, yum. I was skeptical about the soup of the day, pickle, but it was dekicious. A test of a good Polish restaurant is their pierogi & they passed with flying colors! Pierogi's are homemade topped with bacon & green onions. Lunch is a bargain at under $10. Looking forward to going back for dinner.

1  Thank Nancy D
Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

We had a funeral luncheon there. We preordered and got the head count very close. So no excuses.

Biggest factor for rating was hugely understaffing of the waitstaff. Not enough servers and bar drink staff. After funeral we wanted a beverage. Staff did not come around to take drin orders. He would only take drink orders from one or two people at a table and ignore others. Then he would disappear for 10 minutes before coming back with a tray. Still missing people's orders. This continued for a while and people were getting frustrated. Can't understand why the drink order service was so bad.

Food service was very slow. We waited for ever for first course of soup to be served. By now people were hungry and thirsty and it took forever. When food started to come out it was almost one table at a time. One cart of soup bowls at a time. was painfully slow service. Once served each course the plate was cleared very quickly as it was easy to pick up plates and not keep running back and forth for food. Last tables were saying they waited to be served but then the staff was cleaning even before they could eat.

Food was good for banquet food. Salad was microscopic in size though. Very small portion. Bag of lettuce taste. Pork with mushrooms good. Beef was inconsistent as some reported good and others dry. Breaded chicken breasts were paper thin though and I don't recommend that. The big problem was that service was so slow that nothing was hot by the time it got to the table. It was warm. But not hot.

Dessert was chocolate cake. Service size was a tiny thin sliver. I can't believe they served such a thin sliver. Good taste by so thin it wasn't funny.

Interior is fine and decorated like Poland highlander building would be.

But the slow waitstaff and food service process really killed this experience for us. We waited too long for service to start. Too long for each course to be served. And consequently each table gets lukewarm food.

Ironically the drink service would have generated more revenue for the restaurant if they had been staffed properly or even came around to ask.

I would not recommend for banquet or funeral lunch as it is just an okay experiance and I think you can do better elsewhere with more capable staff and a better banquet handling process.

Reviewed 8 June 2016 via mobile

My friend and I dined here today. The specials of the day were less than $10 and most were $8. We ordered a potato pancake appetizer and received pancakes bigger than our plates. The mushroom soup was in a large cup and was tasty. Our lunch entrees were huge. For $23 (we had water), we had a huge lunch and leftovers to enjoy again. We peeked at the banquet hall, and it is very old world and charming. The only negative I have was the European techno music was a bit weird, too loud, and annoying.