“better off not staying here”

Best Western Plus Chicago Hillside
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hillside
Reviewed 15 October 2011

I stayed here for 4 days and the pillows smelled like someones armpits. I called and asked them to bring me some more, which still smelled just less. It also made me very uncomfortable that during 3 out of the 4 days different people were always smoking pot that filled the whole hallways and in my hotel room too. I didn't know if these people were dangerous or not and that is scary. I was suppossedly on a non smoking floor. I originally stayed at Hillside IL because I wanted to visit downtown Chicago. They told me there was the blue line available there. The blue line, forest park stop, was 5 miles away and most of the time the people were very sketchy and I had to wait for the driver to pick me up which also made me feel uncomfortable. The night receptionist was also very rude. I wouldn't recommend that anyone stay here at all.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Chicago Hillside

Reviewed 26 August 2011

The hotel is good, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The lobby was always crowded and noisy and always ful of people. The parking lot was big but I was unable to get a place at 11.30pm in the night. I had to wait for some time for the lounge guests to go. NO FREE BREAKFAST. I had to use the computer in their business center and there wer 2 kids playing games on the computer. The kid was annoyed to stop his game in the middle and there were people sitting on the floor in the business center. The staff were good and respectful. Overall good hotel for the money you pay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We took our two chlidren, their spouses and children, for a total of six adults and five children for a three day family vacation. We chose a Best Western because of our experiences at Best Western Hotels in Florida and Georgia. If we had stayed at this Best Western first we would not have chosen to stay at a Best Western. There were problems with the cleanliness of the rooms, a shuttle service to the Brookfield Zoo, service at the lounge, the restaurant being closed on Sunday, and billing to the wrong credit card. I suggest staying elswhere in the area if you are going to Brookfield Zoo or planning to be in this area.

Room Tip: Be very clear on your needs if you want connecting rooms
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank JimN51
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My wife and I went on a group bus tour to Chicago and Indianapolis the first week of May 2011 with friends. Home base for Chicago was this hotel for four nights.
for what we were told would be a budget hotel, we were surprised how well maintained and comfortable this hotel is. It is a former Holiday Inn that was renovated and rebranded as a Best Western about three years ago. It was originally built as a conference center and has several meeting and banquet rooms. We stayed in two different rooms and both were well maintained and comfortable. The front of the hotel faces a major interstate highway and we would suggest that you ask for a room facing the rear. Our first night was in a front room. although the room itself was fine, the morning rush hour traffic noise was noticeable.

What was a pleasant surprise about this hotel was the excellent service. After the first night, I asked if we could be moved to a rear facing room. The hotel manager explained that they were full but he would take care of the change for us. He asked that we pack our bags and leave them in the room. When we returned that night, we had a new room and our luggage was in the room. The employees were all friendly and helpful and that includes those working the front desk, the dining rooms and housekeeping. The property itself was well taken care of. Obviously a well managed hotel.

We traveled on a tour bus but for most travelers, you will need a car to get around. The area immediately around the hotel is relatively boring with no restaurants etc. The adjoining towns have a excellent selection of places to eat and shop. Try Elmhurst, 5 minutes to the west. There are several excellent shopping malls within a few minutes drive.

Although the name of the hotel says "Chicago", it is located in a western suburb that is about 15 miles from the downtown area. During non-rush hour, its a 15 to20 minute drive on a main highway into the city. During rush hour? Well, what can i say. They charge budget prices for a well maintained property and the savings over a downtown hotel can be substantial.. Personally, its a great value and an excellent hotel and we look to stay again.

I rarely give a 5 rating. I do in this case because we had relatively low expectations when we heard that we would be staying in a budget hotel, and the property condition and outstanding service were a surprise. This is a great value for the money.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank damare
Reviewed 9 June 2011

We stayed in a King room. Room was clean, staff was helpful. Rate was way better than downtown and the drive was not bad. We ate breakfast one morning and enjoyed that also. We were doing most our sight seeing in Oak Park, this was a quick drive on the Eisenhower.
One of the neg. reviews mentioned a landfill, I didn't smell anything. I did see work being done beside the hotel. After some research I found out there is a Construction Safety training center right beside the hotel. Didn't hear any noise from it, just saw lots of big machinery working. I think this is what was confused for a landfill.
We would stay here again when visiting Chicago.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hillside
1.1 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago Airport West
3.1 km away
Hampton Inn Chicago/Westchester (Oak Brook)
0.2 km away
6.4 km away
Comfort Suites Oakbrook Terrace
Comfort Suites Oakbrook Terrace
#4 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace

Been to Best Western Plus Chicago Hillside? Share your experiences!