“Good Service Good Food and Good Price”
Review of Top BBQ Restaurant

Top BBQ Restaurant
Ranked #39 of 110 Restaurants in Dee Why
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 8 October 2017

Picked this restaurant based on Google search. Having a meet up with Sydney friends whilst we were visiting from the bush. 7 of us all fussy about food.
First the service was very Good they went out of the way to be helpful including making a dish for us that was not on the Menu.
Second the food was Very Good (Not Brilliant but Very Good )
Third The price worked out at $28.50 each which is also Very Good

Reviewed 3 October 2017

If you live local and have not tried this restaurant it is a gem. The owner runs the front of the house. He has been here for a generation or more and in the city before that. It is a basic Cantonese restaurant with above expectation food. Be guided by the host if necessary. It is not for a "first date/special occasion" but perfect for a family meal or a gathering of friends. The more the merrier as you get to try more dishes Big plus it is licenced AND byo. Prices are very reasonable. Even vegetarians will be happy. It does a roaring takeaway/delivery trade.

Reviewed 4 September 2017

What a crying shame. This is one of our most convenient, proximate 'locals' and we've had at least half-decent experiences here previously. But tonight, attending for a low-key, pre-birthday dinner, while things might've been worse, they couldn't have been a whole lot worse and they sure as hell could've been a whole lot better. A bit of history. On moving to the area (or nearby Brookvale), we noticed this old school place, which sports any number of very favourable reviews on its street-facing pane, including one, as I recall, from the SBS eating guide, albeit from some years ago. Still and all, these are enough to intrigue, entice and recommend trial and, on the couple of occasions we’d been there, we found a relatively congenial host, tasty, ’traditional’ (in the sense of occidentally familiar, straight-down-the-middle, some would say pedestrian), if over-oiled & over-priced dishes and brisk service.

Admittedly, our return was on a whim and busy Saturday evening, anticipating an imminent exodus from a homeground footy match, but we were quickly accommodated at a capacious table, with immediate view to the dingy DY streetscape. Ordering took a little more time and required hailing our waiter (perhaps this is why a complimentary bowl of prawn crackers is presented); a necessity across the duration of our repast. On the strength of at least one of the aforementioned emblazoned reviews, I’d long since been curious to try the lamb pancake, which we did. While not really living up to the expectations raised by the journalist, it was no bad thing: quite yielding lamb mince in a heady gravy, redolent with five-spice. It was wrap your own, which might’ve been inherently theatrical, but, nonetheless, messy and the pancakes weren’t entirely thawed. Tea had to be ordered twice (my impression the waiter hadn’t listened carefully enough proved correct), our salt ’n’ pepper tofu eventually arrived and, having craned my neck time and again to attract and recruit service, enquired about our accompanying order of Chinese spinach with chili and garlic. By the time it came—without apology—we’d finished the tofu and had little remaining appetite, especially given the loud, forced laughter and (admittedly, good-natured) competitve macho banter from the footy fans behind us. We wanted to leave, so enquired as to whether we might have the remaining rice and stir-fry ’to go’. By the time I returned form the bathroom (not an edifying encounter, to deploy gross, ironic understatement) a plastic bag containing a small takeaway container had been placed on the table. In it, a small portion of our food. I was going to let it go, but after years of like trivial disappointments, I thought, ’no, damnit, I’m going to say something’. The response? The most disingenuously delivered ‘I’ll give you extra, next time’.

Uh-uh. Next time? It’s highly unlikely there’ll be a next time. Important? No. First world problem? Yep. But, to my mind, these tiny transgressions of respect, hospitality and fair trade are emblematic of a much bigger, broader, more insidious, arrogant, utterly cavalier attitude, that’s disseminating like a rampant virus: near enough is good enough; I can get away with it. It’s penny-pinching; insulting; deflating. It ISN’T good enough. No way. No how. Not today. Not tomorrow. Never was. Never will be. Yes, the restaurant was busy. But not full. And if you can’t stand the heat, don’t be so greedy with covers.

This is the reward for making every endeavour to keep it local?! Guess I’ll have to think local, but act global, from now on. What a crying shame. No crouching tigers or hidden dragons here. More’s the pity.

1  Thank syko2
Reviewed 5 July 2017 via mobile

We decided to try Top BBQ restaurant due to all the good reviews on TA. Unfortunately we didn't experience the same .

What was most upsetting was the TV was blaring & the staff basically fixed to the screen to watch The Voice.

We had to ask for it to be turned down as it was really unsettling trying to dine with TV on. If we wanted to watch TV we would have stayed home !

The dishes were tasty but nothing special. We actually couldn't wait to leave.

Staff were friendly but really didn't give care about good service. My hubby had to walk across the road to the pub to get some ice for my drink as the restaurant didn't have any.

Reviewed 5 December 2016

I see the reviewers are divided on the quality of this food. First of all, we ate in so I can't comment on any delivery problems. Secondly, although we live locally there is plenty of parking near this restaurant if you turn off Pittwater Road onto Delmar or use the Stony Reserve parking lot which is only a block away. Because there is so much construction going on in Dee Why parking can be a real problem but not here.

It seemed that the owner waited on us which was probably a matter of luck. He told the cook we liked spicy food and we weren't disappointed. I chose the Szechuan prawns and my lady the Mongolian lamb partly because they had been complained about by other reviewers but we didn't find anything to complain about, both were excellent. The complimentary prawn crackers were crisp and tasty where in some restaurants they get a bit soggy from the humid weather and it was humid. In summary we were pleasantly surprised and we will go back to try other dishes.