“A little better than average”

El mazatlan mexican restaurant
Ranked #2 of 60 Restaurants in Lincoln
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Reviewed 25 February 2018

Given the on-line rave reviews of the El Mazatlan Mexican Restaurant, I was expecting a great dining experience. Overall I was somewhat disappointed.

We arrived at 6PM on a Saturday. The place was bustling. Even so, we were quickly seated and within a couple of minutes a server arrived with complimentary salsa and chips and took our drink order (soft drinks $1.50 each). For the entire time we were there the staff was attentive and helpful.

The El Mazatlan’s menu is substantial and after some contemplation, we each opted for the single serving of fajitas. She chose beef and I opted for chicken ($11.25 each). Fajita meals come with re-fried beans, Mexican rice, pic-de-gallo and three tortillas (We passed on the sour cream and the guacamole).

The chips were warm and not at all greasy. Very tasty. The salsa on the other hand, was a little off putting. I am used to salsa that is deep red with a good thick body. Good salsa (in my opinion) also needs to have chunks of onion and discernible bits of cilantro. This salsa was barely pinkish, and it had a thin texture like it had been pureed to a soup consistency. While it tasted freshly made, it lacked much of the zip that is normally associated with salsa.

The fajita meat was well seasoned and tasty. Oddly, the chicken meat was diced into small chuncks rather than the usual strips. The fajita meal serving size was more than adequate and a leftover container was needed.

I wanted to give this establishment a higher rating but in my opinion, it was only somewhat above average. Yes, I would eat here again. Would I drive 15 miles out of my way to eat here again? Probably not. It just didn’t “knock my socks off”.

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

Best Mexican restaurant in Lincoln. Always a positive experience. All time favorite Camarones Jalisco, bacon wrapped shrimp with decadent cheese sauce, onions and peppers . Friendly fast service. Good selection of cerveza’s and margaritas. Nice decor and patio area.

Reviewed 21 December 2017

In town on business and wanted some local food. I enjoyed my Mexican fajita meal! The service was quick and good. A nice little surprise.

Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

We love going here for most Mexican meals. Their burritos and fajitas are good, and their salsa is really good. Mild to medium. They have some interesting meals on their menu, such as pina fajitas, which are mild and contain pineapple. Their mixed drinks are good too.

Reviewed 5 December 2017 via mobile

This restaurant has some of the best fajitas I have ever had and the portions are large too! The prices are good and the service is spot on.