“An Illinois Supper Club”
Review of Rayme's

Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 May 2017

A friendly neighborhood feel to this restaurant as soon as you enter. Crowded with people clearly enjoying themselves. The noise level is high but still conversational at your table. A sort of Illinois supper club. Steak, seafood, pasta and traditional entrees. Well prepared but no real surprises. The cocktails truly are king sized. Our party of 4 shared the fried calamari. Rather than receiving the usual rings and tentacles Raymes offers diced pieces of a much larger squid. The presentation is surprising. The batter is light and the calamari is tender but the different sized cubes does cause some of the calamari to be overcooked. Our parties ordered steaks and fried Blue Gill. The steaks were cooked perfectly to temperature and were greatly enjoyed. The Blue Gill was lightly battered and sauteed in garlic butter. The garlic did not overwhelm the delicate filet of fish but did add interest. I greatly enjoyed the pile of small, thin Blue Gill filets. We will be returning

Reviewed 22 May 2017

Had been driving by Rayme's for 30 years or so and never stopped in. Lamented our failure to dine there when the place got flooded out a few years ago. When the owners rebuilt the place we vowed to stop in some time for dinner.

Well, that "some time" was this past April. Wife and I and another couple stopped by on a Friday evening for dinner. The bottom line up front is that Rayme's is a very "safe" establishment for folks who want to eat the same stuff they eat at home. Overall, the food was of a good quality, served promptly, in a clean environment.

Upon entering the restaurant we noticed that it was very noisy and that it was a mostly older - much older - crowd. We were directed by our rather dour hostess to a table located in a high traffic area of the dining room jammed up against the a wall. Our vantage point was unexciting.

Our server was a pleasant person who greeted us very cordially before taking our drink orders and providing us with menus. It was disappointing to find the menu chocked full of unexciting entrees and equally unexciting sides. The wine list was very sparse and populated with bargain bin vintages.

When our drinks arrived, we were pleased to see that Rayme's was living up to it's claim as the place to get "king sized cocktails." My bourbon on the rocks was about 4-fingers' worth and got me buzzing in short order.

Again, the server was a very pleasant person, but she was not able to answer some very basic questions about the wines on the wine list. It really didn't matter anyway because diners had very limited wine choices to start with in the first place.

Three in our group ordered fish, and reported that it was served hot and tasted fine. I ordered a filet mignon and found that it was properly cooked to order.

The only bad thing I can really say about Rayme's is that it is just a boring place to dine.

1  Thank SeamusDad
Reviewed 4 March 2017 via mobile

The food was pretty good. The service was a little slow, but it was Friday night. I've enjoyed the roast pork, chicken pot pie and ribs recently.

The cocktails are big but so is the price. Warm bread before dinner. Cold crisp salad. Pretty loud.

My wife says it reminds her of an old time supper club. Very nice new building.

We'll be back. We come every once in a while.

Reviewed 4 March 2017 via mobile

We have been going to Raymes for 30 years. Great neighborhood following know for King size cocktails. Good for lunch and dinner. For lunch, the Raymes burger is legend. Always get the spicy black bean soup. Evenings are great for steak, and they have items you seldom see. Walleye, blue gill, sweet potatoes, Brussel sprouts. Reasonable and good food. Look for Betty who has been serving for over 30 years!!

Reviewed 16 February 2017

My wife and I had driven by Rayme's many times and finally decided to try it for dinner on Valentine's Day. Walking in we immediately felt like we were back in a decent restaurant that our parents might have taken us to back in the '60s or '70s. It is true that Rayme's has been around for a while. We had reservations and were seated exactly at our reserved time.
Our server, Lindsay, greeted us promptly and was very pleasant. She informed us of the specialties of the day. Rayme's is famous for large cocktails but we instead opted for a bottle of wine with the meal. The wine list is a bit limited but there are a few selections at various price ranges, so we found something to our liking. Dinners come with the usual combination of soup or salad and potato or veggies. Our salads were fresh and just enough. I had the king-cut pork chop which was served with a good char on it...very tasty. My wife had the filet mignon which she said was very good. Meats were cooked as ordered. We split an apple tart with ice-cream for dessert which had good apple flavor. Coffee was hot and strong, just the way I like it. We were there on the early side for dinner so the restaurant was only about a third full when we arrived. But by the time we left it was mostly full.
This is one of those places that I would not call truly "fine dining" but it is upscale from the usual restaurant fare. The atmosphere is comfortable from another era. Most diners were dressed nicely with a few men even wearing sport coats. I saw a few people in jeans, but that was a small minority.
Parking is ample in the adjacent lot.
Im glad we tried this and Im sure we will be back.
If this review was helpful please click the "helpful" or "thank" button below.

1  Thank J D