“Great Experience, Good Service, Good Food”
Review of Bulldog Ale House

Bulldog Ale House
Ranked #41 of 113 Restaurants in McHenry
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We had been to this location before it was Bulldog Ale House. This past week was our first visit although the Bulldog Ale House has now been here a bit. We always liked the building and the location is good, but the last group that owned the place had kind of soured us on the whole thing. We also really missed Dunhills. Our experience more than made up for that. We actually really enjoyed it! We got there and waited a few minutes, and were seated in a good area and the place was really packed. It turned out we had wandered in there on Half Price Pizza Night. We are big pizza fans and tried that, as well as a pretzel appetizer, we also had some of the home made cheesecake for dessert! Yum. Turns out the beer and wine was also on sale. Jeez, what a bargain! The food was really good! The dip sauces with the pretzels were all outstanding. The pizza was a wonderful combination of fresh ingredients. The waitress was professional and helpful. We will be back to try out other specials and also items on the very great menu. Lots of variety. We really enjoy stumbling upon a great place to eat. The entrance has a little hostess stand and one improvement would be to teach the people there to be a bit more welcoming, and say thank you when you leave. As it was they seemed distracted.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

I would say the wait staff was super friendly and willing to help when needed.
I had ordered a chicken and waffle with gravy on top and also got the loaded waffle fries. They both were so delicious and the chicken, gravy, waffle and mashed potatoes were perfectly portioned so each bite got the same amount. The only down side was they messed up an order when specific and needed helping finding our waitress for a little bit. Other than that great experience.

Reviewed 7 January 2018

Typical sports bar. Lots of attention in the bar area, but needs help in the dining room.

I received a gift card for this place from my in-laws. I took the family on a Saturday nigh for dinner. The place was clean and i was hopeful for a new restaurant in the area. However, I was let down. The server was incompetent at best. It took forever to take a drink order and the food order. The entire meal was timed incorrectly. My son's pizza was served prior to the appetizer or soup / dinner salads. We barely had time to look at the humus platter then the main entrees were served. No silverware on the table or appetizer plates. Main entrees were incorrect from the kitchen, served warm, not hot. On a bright note, the salads were great. But hard to screw up lettuce.

So either this was the guy's first day, was not trained, or had never ate out at a restaurant in his life. Not to mention, the dimwitted other servers kept on wanting to deliver beers to our table while the buss boys wanted to clear the tables so fast they about take the glasses out of your hand while you are drinking.

On a final sour note, we wanted to try dessert. The kids ordered a chocolate chip cookie with ice cream. The waiter comes back 5 minutes later and says they are out of the cookies. I am done.

I left a crappy tip for a crappy meal. I used the gift card and will never return. My family eats out at least 2-3 times each week. This will not make my list of restaurants or recommendations. Run away from this place if you wanted a decent dinner with your family. Truly a place run my amateurs and hire the same as servers, front staff and kitchen help.

2  Thank johnsJ9600YO
Reviewed 5 January 2018 via mobile

Very popular venue here in McHenry, and lots of different beers and wines to choose from. Those are the positives. The grilled chicken was grilled nearly to a crisp and very dry, could not have even eaten it without the bourbon sauce. The accompanying broccoli was overcooked to the point of being almost mushy, and had a slight fishy taste. However, the Caesar salad was crisp and good. They were very busy, and so service was a bit slow.

Reviewed 3 January 2018

I have dined here 5 times, once in the dining room the rest in the bar. We prefer to sit in the bar. I have yet to be impressed by the service. Our servers have been anything from what you would expect (fine, typical service) to totally MIA. They have great specials and that seems to draw people in. Everything I have ever eaten here has been just ok. Nothing crave-able or to write home about but nothing truly terrible either. Once they served us our chicken tenders dunked in buffalo sauce when we asked for it on the side and they did make it right, send out the correct item and take it off our bill, so that was correctly handled. I keep wanting to find something to love about this place but the consistently mediocre service needs to improve. Also, don't order curly fries with your kids meal unless you want an insane upcharge.

Been to Bulldog Ale House? Share your experiences!