“not the pizza i grew up with”
Review of Sanfratello Pizza

Sanfratello Pizza
Ranked #327 of 474 Restaurants in Naperville
Reviewed 2 April 2018

it was not the pizza I grew up with. It was lacing something. That would be taste. The crust was limp. A big disappointment. Way overpriced for what you get.

1  Thank plevin2017

Reviewed 13 September 2016

The pizza is similar to Aurelio's. Spicyish sauce, a more spongey crust than a lot of Chicago style is. Different cheese mix, etc.

Generally I try to not totally lay into places in reviews because that's what reviewers on Yelp/Trip Advisor/etc tend to do. People have one bad experience and let it fly in an anonymous manner. This place though I have enough of a body of evidence on.

The first time I went in there was about 3 weeks after it opened. I came in somewhat late on a Sunday afternoon, like 2pm. I had a slice of cheese and a slice of sausage. When I got out to the car to eat it, it had clearly been sitting out for well over an hour. The cheese was so dehydrated it had an audible crunch. The crust was dried out and the temperature was well below what would be considered proper. I went back in to get new slices, but the kid working the counter was totally overwhelmed. After 10 minutes of waiting, I just gave up and chalked it up to a bad day.

The pizza was so bad I figured I'd give it another shot. About 3 weeks later, I came back in. Much to my shock, it actually got worse in this visit. This time at 12:30 on a weekday. After waiting for 10 minutes again because no one could figure out who was supposed to be working what station, I got another slice. I think it might have been from the same pizza I had three weeks before. The cheese was even more dehydrated and was the same tepid, awful temperature.

The crust also had a soggy spot in the middle of it. It's really no small feat to make a pizza both dehydrated and mushy at the same time. After seeing the chaos in the restaurant, I chose not to get a refund.

Still stunned at how horrendous the slices I had from this place were and because I must hate myself, I went back a third time. Again, I waited over 5 minutes, with no one else in the place for someone to figure out who was doing what job. Finally a younger gentleman took my order. After he got the slice out of the warmer, it appears that they have a special pizza that they hold for when I visit. It was even worse than the first three. Dried out, borderline room temperature, and horrendous.

The coup de gráce was in paying. I was forked over more money the total came to something like 4.57. I handed him a 10. He looked puzzled at the register and yelled back to the kitchen that the register wasn't showing how much change he should give. I did the math in my head and told him, "It's $5.43."

He gave me a puzzled look and uttered, "What?"

I responded, "The change I get back is $5.43."

He again looked at me as if I was speaking some rare Estonian dialect. "But the register doesn't say how much I should give you?!?"

I started reaching for my phone to do the math on a calculator for him. Then I realized that trying to use logic, calculators, white boards, an abacus or adding machine would be futile and waited another several minutes as he went back to get the manager to figure out that I would get my $5.43. I chose to go back (twice) to this place. I deserve anything that happens to me.

I wasted over $20 in this place and I have no one to blame but myself.

Reviewed 4 September 2016 via mobile

I tried the pizza. I know that is there specialty. To me, there was something missing. The cheese and sauce just didn't jump out at me. Not saying it was bad, just lacked some punch.

Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

Pizza with an attitude the sauce is great. Small area to eat in but if you want a little noise and great food eat in. If not take out and enjoy hot. There is a lot on the menu to choose from so go to town. For me it's the pizza it's just right and he cheese these use is something else.

Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

Order Pizza Hut me very quickly. The woman answering their phones very very nice 2 hour paid for the pizza she applied a coupon for car purchase that we didn't even have. We had the hoping your poppers and we have the deep dish pizza. Hot and fresh the poppers were really cheesy came with ranch or marinara sauce. It was delicious. A lot of cheese and the crust is not too chewy and not too flaky. That's awesome very tomato and fresh. We really enjoyed the service and the food.

Been to Sanfratello Pizza? Share your experiences!