“Don't bother on Easter”

Allgauer's on the Riverfront
Reserve with OpenTable
Allgauer's on the Riverfront is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 125 Restaurants in Northbrook
Price range: US$9 - US$50
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Winkleman
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We had reservations for 12:30 on Easter. There was a line in front of us as we arrived. We waited for 40 minutes to get to the front of the line. Then were told it would be another 45 minutes to get a table. We spoke to someone who had been waiting an hour and they were told another half hour (at least) to wait. One expects to wait on a heavily trafficked day. This restaurant was clearly not prepared. We expected to have a wonderful meal, and instead left without eating. There is no point in making a reservation and waiting minimum hour and half to be seated. The restaurant was highly rated, thus we gave it a try. We will not return.

2  Thank NayNay192

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

I really liked ambience, food and wine was good. They had decent variety of food in the menu. I will eat here again if opportunity comes.

Reviewed 11 March 2018

Though it was highly expensive, The Champaign bruch was spectacular. Huge selection. Carving stations. hot and cold salads. Veggies, potatoes, deserts. For me it will have to be avery special occasion to return. This time someone treated us.

Reviewed 14 January 2018

Allgauer's has been around for decades. That is not an easy feat to pull off in the restaurant business. I have had the opportunity to dine here many times over the years and never had an unpleasant experience. Their main menu has somewhat limited options, but do not despair. Almost everything they serve is excellent.

Last month when I was staying at the Hilton, I had their Friday night seafood buffet and thought it was quite good (although admittedly a bit overpriced). The crab legs were delicious. I also recently dined there and ordered several items off of their menu. Everything was wonderful. Meat is prepared properly and vegetables are cooked just right so they are not too raw or too mushy. Service has *always* been fantastic.

Reviewed 10 December 2017

My buddies and I have always enjoyed coming here through the years on Friday evenings for their all you can eat seafood buffet.
We were saddened when it was discontinued.
Then we were informed via email that they were bringing it back this year just for the month of December only.
We were thrilled to see it back and made reservations. The reservations weren't necessary. There were very few patrons at the restaurant. When we got there, only 3 tables had patrons eating there and not everyone was going for the all you can eat seafood buffet.
You probably know where I am going with this. Without a lot of patrons and a "quick turnover of food" in the buffet line trays, the food was just sitting in the steamers and getting overcooked. The snow crab legs tray was never changed as not enough people took crab legs to empty it. The same can be said for the calamari, salmon, chicken, prime rib, and other dishes sitting in the warming trays (the prime rib was under a warming light). They were all "well done" and overcooked. I have never eaten calamari that was so soft and mushy anywhere.
Maybe the restaurant didn't get the word out the buffet was back; maybe people were busy Christmas shopping. Whatever happened, we were disappointed in the buffet and could only reminisce about how excellent the Friday Night Seafood Buffets were at this establishment years ago. The place was packed then and the food was excellent. Back then they had all the lobster you could eat at the buffet. This month it was 1 freshly cooked whole lobster for everyone partaking in the buffet. The lobster was very good.
I would like to close by saying our waiter was excellent and we tipped him accordingly. It was not his fault the food was just sitting in the steamers.

2  Thank Jal4950