See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 November 2014

I love backpacking okay, it's my thing, I've stayed in some of the best hotels in the world and they do not compare to the conversational and laid back experience of an excellent backpackers. Excellent being the antithesis of Bamboozi Lodge. If excellent were matter - Bamboozi is the thing that ate it.

We had taken a chapa (minibus taxi) from Maputo to Tofo, because I believe that to fully enjoy a region, you need to travel the way its residents do. It was a long and charming adventure, with pitstops every 30mins where mamas with livestock and children and bags of roasted cashew nuts would hop on and off along the way, because Mozambique has only really started developing and its transport system outside of the cities isn't quite fully formed. No matter, Mozambicans are THE people to be stuck in a crowded minibus with.

When we finally reached Bamboozi it was located on a brochure-picturesque beach; unspoilt, and gives the impression that you could leave your room on a morning stroll and find yourself in Tanzania without realising. Tofo as a geographic location was the manifestation of every lofty fantasy I had of it. After walking passed a few other backpackers passed a coconut grove, we finally reached Bamboozi with its charming stilted chalets build from local material which meant its environmental impact is close to zero. I thought it was perfect. As usual, I needed to find the bar before finding out where my room was. For the first time this approach failed me, because after wonderful time watching my two friends getting hit on by the locals, we arrived at our chalet and it looked clean and prepared for us.

We ordered dinner there and it was quite disappointing, it is acceptable to chapa all the way to the Inhambane region and find yourself eating stale fish. There is more unacceptable. Nevertheless, spirits continued to soar high as we walked to a nearby backpackers where all the cool locals hung out. We had a blast. After far too many cold beverages, we ventured out into the darkest night I have experienced, No moon was in sight and the milky way seemed to dim itself as to not disturb the night. We got to our room and I was excited about my second mosquito-netted sleeping arrangement. My senses are always on high alert the first night I sleep anyway, and they particularly attuned to the scratching and gnawing and creeping of a particular pest known for chewing people alive. So, imagine my horror when I awoke to two silver eyes staring at me from the beam above my head! I screamed for the ghosts of my past to come rescue me, but they didn't, so I obviously had to wake my three companions. We couldn't find the light switch so they searched for our intruder until they convinced myself that I had just had a nightmare...like what am I 6 years old? I know what I saw.

I went back into my bed, with my senses even more heightened and when those eyes began reflecting light where there was not light, I screamed again for all the hungry rat eating predators to come forth. None came, but this time my friends saw the manifestation of my nightmare, someone finally found the light switch and the rat had disappeared through the gap between the roof and the wall - we didn't have a ceiling. That wasn't the worst thing to happen to us. We woke up the next day with flea or bed bug bites all over our body; I'm talking about red spots like we had caught small pox. I soon realised that rats weren't the only things that nibbled on people while they slept. We checked out the next day, and headed to the backpackers down beach where we resuscitated our spectacular getaway.

If you enjoy being eaten alive and being stalked by rats while you sleep, by all means, make your way to Bamboozi. If you're like me, turn back! Learn from my misfortunes!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kgosi M
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I absolutely loved my time at Bamboozi Beach Lodge. (It says June 2013, but I was there in 2009).

I stayed in a bamboo beach hut on stilts with 3 other backpackers, the showers were built in to drain through the floor. The coastline is breathtaking.

I took my PADI Open Water and was spoilt with the underwater life! I've since dived in Thailand and Oz and it just hasn't compared!

The beach was beautiful, the food in the restaurant was great and the nightlife down the beach was even better! Miss this place!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Dapper_Dan_56
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Tofu, Inhambane is the most magical place on Earth! Bamboozi was wonderful, friendly staff, comfortable and clean accommodation, great bar and food. Lots to do and the diving is absolutely awesome! Best to have a vehicle with you (4x4 recommended) as then you can visit the other attractions nearby. Bamboozi is just outside of Tofu and a visit to the market is a must!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank LisaRentzke
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Just came back from a weeks stay at Bamboozi. We booked the main dorm that sleeps 14adults. Bamboozi is ideal for the young at heart travelers looking for a place to rest. The dorms are clean and basic and the bathrooms are clean. What more does a backpacker need when travelng in Mozambique. We even had warm water. There is enough kitchen areas to accommodate everybody. The camping area is very small and limited trees. Bamboozi has the best location. Close to Tofo town but far enough for the locals not to bother you. Bamboozi is also very relaxed and if you are looking for a full time party this might not be the best backpackers but overall a great, clean and beautiful backpackers!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
BarraResorts, Public Relations Manager at Bamboozi Beach Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Thank you for your review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay at Bamboozi and the Mozambique vibe in and around Tofo. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future...

Reviewed 5 November 2013

This was our first stop on our 1 month-long backpacking trip trough southern Africa. We flew from Stockholm to Maputo, the capital of Mozambique, and then took a bus from there up to Praia de Tofo. The bus ride took about 6 hours, and was... not awesome, of course, but not horrible! The Bamboozi Beach Lodge suited us just fine, our bungalow was right alongside the beach and it was supercosy! There was a mosquitonet in the bungalow, but we used our own on top of their net, to cover up some holes. Of course, you have to accept the fact that there WILL be animals and bugs of all sorts around you all the time (it IS Africa, after all). We had some spider, lizzards, beatles, roaches on our room but it was okay. My boyfriend saw a snake outside by our bungalow.

All and all, I would recommend you to stay here, the staff is friendly and helpful, you will stay just by the beach, you will get "the african experience" and last, but not least; Praia de Tofo i paradise on earth!

Room Tip: Choose the private Chalets, those are with the seaview.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
BarraResorts, Public Relations Manager at Bamboozi Beach Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

It is pleasing to hear you enjoyed your stay at Bamboozi. The town of Tofo is certainly an attractive option for those looking for a little "fun in the sun"