“Poor managerial service mars otherwise enjoyable stay”
Review of Mark Twain Hotel

Mark Twain Hotel
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Peoria
Reviewed 1 July 2017

My husband and I stayed at the Mark Twain Hotel June 1-4, 2017. Upon arrival, the staff were friendly and accommodating, and we found the room to be comfortable, spacious, and clean.

The problem arose during/after check-out. We were in town for my best friend's wedding, and I used the Rent the Runway service for my dress for the ceremony/reception. (If you've never used the service before, a quick primer: you receive a dress in the mail for an event, and return the dress back to Rent the Runway after you're done. The key? You have to mail it back on the agreed-upon date, or you are charged $50/day in late fees.)

At check-out, I asked the front desk if they would mail the dress for me, so I did not have to take it back on the plane with me. In keeping with their excellent service thus far, the young woman staffing the front desk said yes, and assured me that it would go out the next day.

Imagine my surprise when I received an email from Rent the Runway, more than a week later, informing me that I had accrued $250 in late fees due to my failure to return the dress. I called the hotel, and the (same) young woman staffing the front desk confirmed that they had failed to mail the package, apologized, and stated that "you should not be responsible for paying that because it's our fault." I was then told that the issue would be handled by manager Frank Pedulla going forward.

What followed was a week of phone calls and voicemails to Mr. Pedulla to which he was unresponsive. When he finally did call me back and I explained the situation, he said that he needed to run the issue up the chain to his management. Two days later (more than 10 days after this entire situation started), he called and said that he was authorized to offer me only $100.

I asked to talk to his management; he then refused to provide their contact information, claiming that he alone was responsible for the decision (contradicting his earlier claim that he was bound by his upper management). I asked him why he thought it was fair for his hotel staff to promise a service, fail to deliver that service, and then promise to make it right, only for him to compensate me less than half of what I was charged. His answer? That "$250 is a lot to pay for a dress" and that $100 was all he was willing to offer me.

Putting aside how belittling and patronizing it is to have your consumer choices judged -- and I will note that the late fees, not the dress itself, amounted to $250 -- I found his decision lacking in intellectual credibility as well. He essentially was admitting fault, but refusing to make me whole.

I am sure I will be visiting Peoria again many times in the future, as my best friend and her new husband's family grows and celebrates milestones. I am also sure I will never again stay at the Mark Twain hotel. When a service is promised, it should be delivered -- and when the failure to deliver that service results in a customer being charged, every effort should be made to make things right, not to disparage a customer's choices.

Room Tip: While the hotel offered free wifi, it did not work the entire time of our stay.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 2 July 2017

As we discussed on the phone, the problem I had with this situation is that the company that rented you the dress would not discuss the situation with me because we were a third party. When the dress was left with the Guest Service Representative at no time were we told that the dress needed to be returned the next day or there would be late charges. The day you called and check on the dress we sent out the dress that day. We credit your card the same day I offered you the $100. I'm sorry that you did not feel this was fair. I am not accustom to paying for expenses that I did not know about prior to agreeing to and not being able to discuss with the vendor.

Reviewed 30 June 2017

This hotel was pretty nice in some aspects and lacking in others. Pros: The entrance, bar and eating area are all very nice and just as pictured on the website. The hotel breakfast is very good! They provide fresh made omelets, cereal, potatoes, bacon and sausage! The location of the hotel is good-close to the interstate and local attractions. The ladies working behind the desk were very friendly. Cons: The room was very dated. The shower was a corner shower and super tiny (and I'm not a huge person) but even worse there was no water pressure what so ever in the sink and shower. This made brushing your teeth and showering unpleasant. And to top off the lack of water pressure was the slow drain in the shower. The bedspread duvet that they keep at the foot of the bed was dirty and the clean towels they provided were old and stained. The beds are hard which might be a Pro for some, for me it was definitely too hard. Lastly, we returned to the hotel after 11:00 p.m. and for security reasons the door was locked (good thing) but the hotel key slot was not working (bad thing) and the buzzard to alert the clerk that we needed to be let in was not working either (bad thing) so we had to stand outside and bang on the door until someone came to the door (approximately 5 minutes).

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 2 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time and making me aware of the front door security system not working. We have already alerted maintenance to fix this right away. The housekeeper has gone to the room and look at the duvet and discuss with the maid. e just received new towels and linens on Friday June 30th and are removing old inventory. I am sorry for any inconvenience we caused you and hope the next time you are in Peoria you will stop and see the improvements we are making.

Reviewed 24 June 2017

Rooms were comfortable and clean. Breakfast was good and fast service. Only negative not much to do around the area in the evening. Also poor lighting in room, so not able to read in the comfy chair provided

Room Tip: quiet room, did not have a river view so if that is important ask ahead of time.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 26 June 2017

Thank you for staying with us, and providing feedback so that we can better serve our future guest. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 3 June 2017

So glad we chose this locally owned boutique hotel downtown Peoria, convenient from the interstate. Room decor nicely blends exposed brick with modern furnishings. The bathroom was adequate, and everything was clean. I give this place extra points for its friendly staff and a pretty great free breakfast, with made-to-order omelets and restaurant seating. We also enjoyed the hotel restaurant for dinner: upscale feel, but menu featured a range of price points and the food was good. My only critique is that the bed pillows were kinda small and felt ready or replacement. They should fix that.

Room Tip: River view is nice
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 3 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time and telling us about your stay. We will look at pillows this coming week to see what needs to be replaced. I hope the next time your in Peoria you will stay with us and see the new services we will be offering. Thanks again and I will pass your comments on to the staff.

Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

This hotel has been nicely updated. Rooms are well-appointed with fabulous beds, flat screen tv, and good quality furniture. I did not appreciate the rain shower. It leaked so the water pressure wasn't very strong and rinsing the shampoo out of my hair took forever. The shower had a non- slip mat but could have used a grab bar for those who are less steady on their feet. I appreciated the Seattle's Best coffee in the room. Ask for a room on a top floor. Traffic can be noisy. The breakfast was wonderful. There was lots of choice from danish to omelets made to order. We stayed over the Memorial Day weekend and most restaurants near the hotel were not open. The hotel restaurant was closed also.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 3 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time and telling us about your stay. I am sorry about the water pressure and will have maintenance look at this today. We look forward to you staying with us the next time your in Peoria.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Peoria
0.8 km away
11.8 km away
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Peoria North, IL
12.1 km away
Hampton Inn and Suites Peoria at Grand Prairie

Been to Mark Twain Hotel? Share your experiences!