“"Boutique" might be a euphemism in this case...”
Review of Mark Twain Hotel

Mark Twain Hotel
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Peoria
Reviewed 6 December 2017

I was here for work. Business travel can be brutal - long hours flying, driving, then cranking out presentations and meeting with clients. You don't need luxury accommodations at the end of the day, really - you just need a clean, comfortable place to rest before you get up and do it all over again. Well, unfortunately, the Mark Twain does not deliver even when your bar is pretty low.

To be fair, I will not complain about the decor. Outdated furniture, cheap fixtures, stained walls, and popcorn ceilings would be fine if everything was really clean. Unfortunately, the "recently refurbished" room I stayed in was filled with dust from the carpet to the furniture, the bathroom had suspiciously dirty-looking glasses for rinsing after brushing teeth (I was so grossed out that I just leaned down and drank out of the faucet with my eyes closed), and the shower was designed in such a way that it required me to stand all the way inside when I first turned on the water (an unavoidable blast of ice water in the morning is not my idea of comfort). The towels smelled musty and I felt really uncomfortable using them.

The bed was stiff but acceptable, though I felt like I absolutely had to check all four corners of the mattress for bedbugs based on the quality of the room itself. The sheets and duvet were fine, though again - the state of the room overall just made sleeping in the bed feel icky. Additionally, the blinds don't close all the way so there is an abundance of extra light throughout the night due to this being a downtown location. Perhaps some curtains or shades are in order?

To top it all off, the hotel solicits TripAdvisor reviews with in-room signage, as if blissfully unaware of its challenges. I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: If there are good rooms, they aren't on the second floor.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Christina T

Reviewed 28 November 2017

this is a smaller boutique hotel, and our room was small (as are a lot of historical hotels) but it had such wonderful character. The check-in was fun, great amenities and wonderful breakfast. The restaurant looks very good and we hope to have time to eat there nice trip.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2017

WE love to stay at the Mark Twain as we pass thru the area. Love the free drink coupons for the bar. Right up the block from the riverfront-nice place to run in the morning. Nice little weight room too.
Good restaurants in the area. My only issue THIS visit was the room we stayed in was a bit rough-the carpet had pleats in it-time to update!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

Me and my wife booked here for a our sons cross country meet in Peoria. Upon arrival we weren’t expecting much from the exterior. The front desk woman was friendly and we came up to our room. The room was clean but you can tell it was run down and we were somewhat disappointed for the price we paid. The bed was large and everything seemed to be clean. Again for over $150 a night we expected a little bit nicer accommodations than what we received.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2017

Arrived late which proved to be no problem. Ample parking with easy access to lobby, only six steps up or down to carry luggage. Room were very nice. Upon arrival, were given complimentary chits for a cocktail and breakfast. Breakfast was from 7 to 10 and was quite extensive and good.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peoria
0.8 km away
11.8 km away
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Peoria North, IL
12.1 km away
Hampton Inn and Suites Peoria at Grand Prairie

Been to Mark Twain Hotel? Share your experiences!