“Military History lesson 101”

Livingston County War Museum
Ranked #3 of 16 things to do in Pontiac
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a hands-on, living history museum featuring displays, artifacts and uniforms of local soldiers from World War I, World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Iraq and Afghanistan. Our staff is made up of military veterans who are present to share their experiences with you. We are located next to the Route 66 Museum. Visited by guests from over 75 countries since 2004. Free admission. Free parking. Open 7 days a week Mon-Sat 10 - 4, Sun 12 - 4. See you on Route 66!
Reviewed 3 August 2017

On the recommendation from my nephew we drove 3 1/2 hrs. to Pontiac to visit the Route 66 Museum and the Livingston County War Museum.
I've been to a lot of military museums and this museum per square inch has more information fit into it then any I have visited.
When you first walk in you are overwhelmed like a drill sergeant screaming in your ear at the crack of dawn. After making a quick pass through the various rooms I caught my breath and started over again wanting to take in as much information as possible.
The collection of history is amazing and the hour that I spent there does not do it justice. I could have easily spent three hours by myself taking it all in.
You will find items and testimonies from all different military campaigns and a lot of unique items which will make you scratch your head and wonder how the heck did somebody get this back to the states. The Japanese Machine gun is one such example.
A veteran offers his take and provides a lot of information on a short tour if you'd like.
This museum provides something for everyone from the serious military historian to average lay person. Excellent for students.
Interesting story in the small room at the top of the stairs before you enter the main room on the left.
In this room there is a lot of WW1 history items, take a look at the pictures on your left on the wall, there is an image of an eagle, statue of liberty and some other things, look closely at the pictures and see how they were created and the uniqueness of them.
There is also a long ribbon in a frame to the right of the window, ask the veteran tour guide about this. You will be amazed!

PontiacWarMuseum, Manager at Livingston County War Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your lengthy and positive review of our museum. We hope you will be back again!

All reviews
"well worth the stop"
in 4 reviews
"humbling experience"
in 2 reviews
"free parking across the street"
"donations accepted"
in 10 reviews
"branch"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

This museum is part of the Route 66 museum and you won't miss it. Full of mannequins with military uniforms donated by local military veterans. Lots of other war info and memorabilia from all wars. So interesting, take some time to stop!

Thanks for your positive review of our museum. Hope you will come back to see us again!

Reviewed 26 July 2017

As a Canadian, even I found this to be a very interesting museum. It has hundreds of uniforms of USA service men and women. The uniforms, I believe are mostly from service members who live in the area, making it more relevant. There is a number of artifacts from the Livingston County in general and Pontiac in particular. The volunteers that were in attendance were very helpful. This is a recommend museum, and it is free. Plus there is free parking across the street.

Thanks for your positive review of our museum! I'm just back from a wonderful week in Montreal, of of my favorite cities along with Quebec City.

Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

Very moving museum with large representation of military involvement from Livingston County. Especially enjoyed WWI memorabilia. Curator informative and helpful. Left a lump in my throat.

PontiacWarMuseum, Manager at Livingston County War Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2017

Thank you for your positive review on TripAdvisor. We hope to see you in our museum again!