“Good German food in the USA”
Review of Rathskeller Der

Rathskeller Der
Ranked #62 of 361 Restaurants in Rockford
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 14 June 2015

During a short stop over visiting friends in Rockford they took me for diner to this restaurant. I'm always a little suspicious about this kind of restaurants. Having a wide experience of German food in Germany I can say that the food is good to German standards. We had various typical dishes like Schnitzel with various side dishes and they were all very good.

2  Thank Bocaj47

Reviewed 3 May 2015

We opted to sit on their large patio. Ordered the pricey appetizer of the sausage platter. Expected a lot more sausage than what we got for $18. Different kinds of housemade sausages were fun to try and very good.

The beef/spaetzle soup was good but quite salty I think for most people's tastes. Everyone at our table got the Friday fish fry. The fish seemed pretty chewy. It was deep fried cod. The diced roasted potatoes that were served with it didn't keep their heat and cooled quite quickly. Plus they were nearly burnt and that affected the taste. Their beer menu could be a bit larger with more options.

Overall I thought prices were pretty high for the quality and amount of food served. I don't believe we will be back. Our waitress was really really great though so I hope they treat their employees well because she was a wonderful server.

Reviewed 11 April 2015

Food was cold burnet and old, bratwurst was wormed up in microwave and all 3 of us wil never go there again . Food is just disgusting. Very dirty place . I'm German so that was specialy insulting to me that they call this German food .

Reviewed 2 April 2015

My wife and I have tried this restaurant three times over several years always hoping that the food will get better and it never does. There is a great selection of draft beers which is the only reason to try this restaurant. If you are familiar with German cuisine, the food at the Rathskeller will horrify you. If you are not familiar with German cuisine, this restaurant will put you off ever trying elsewhere.

1  Thank Ronald G
Reviewed 22 March 2015

Visited last summer and had a Reuben sandwich, and it was excellent. Lots of beers to choose from and the sandwich was huge. Took half of it home, and it was delicious. I would recommend this place. Go when its warm and you can sit outside. Well worth the money!