“Elegant, Hip Small Plates Place ”
Review of Abreo Restaurant

Abreo Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 395 Restaurants in Rockford
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Abreo Restaurant (formerly Brio Restaurant), among other aesthetic updates, has recently undergone a name change. While we have a different look, our character, style, and vision remain the same! We are dedicated to constantly creating and refining our menus to bring you an exceptional dining experience.
Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

I recently dined at Abreo in Rockford. This little gem is a multi-national small plates place that doesn’t disappoint.

We ate in the bar, but I’d recommend the small outdoor courtyard if the weather is good - looked like they had better seats.

The limited menu has some nice options to share with a table of put together to make a meal. The menu could use a little more explanation - we were pretty dependent on our waiter. Each of the small plates we tried was tasty.

The wine list is limited but a decent selection. It could benefit from additional depth - like a Rioja (for a place that claims to be Spanish).

Good service, excellent food, good wine list - this place would stand up in a larger city. Worth a try on a night out with a special someone or s group of friends.

Reviewed 24 December 2017

Imbued with the spirit of the holidays my wife and another couple who are friends of ours (a good deal younger but nice) went out to eat and chose Abreo. In the past we've been to Oasis (I know, but you can get food from Uncle Nick's) and Olympic Tavern (where I stole a drinking glass) and a pho-steraunt which I can't remember the name of now but it's okay because it's gone and was turned into a pretty okay Thai-steraunt. The woman who took our reservation was very nice on the phone and didn't bat an eye when I called to move the reservation time (long story, my fault) and still didn't seem at all put out when we showed up somewhere between the two times. The place looks very nice and I liked that most of the stuff on the menu is locally sourced. The women in our group (neither of whom took their husbands last name) ordered a "mixed" drink recommended by our service professional. Neither liked the beverage as it didn't taste as billed. None of us were sure how to proceed in terms of ordering a second drink but it was okay because we were never offered another drink so we didn't have to figure it out. I got gin on the rocks which came with olives on a toothpick across the glass and not in the gin. What''s the point of that? Our server told us it was standard for everyone to order three dishes and so we did. Of the three I ordered, only one was very good (the steak, which was tiny pieces of meat done beautifully but all told was maybe an ounce of beef pushed to one end of a plate so large it could have housed an entire gingerbread nativity scene. 20 bucks, shock-faced emoji) Another dish was pretty good (a beet salad I enjoyed) and the third dish was bad (a pork-and-something dish which was all mushed together and blended up like baby food and then squirted out in one lump and none of it tasted like anything you could differentiate or identify.) Our friends were rather limited in what they could get because they're vegetarians (I told you: young) and even though much of of the food is fresh and simple, very little of it doesn't have meat. (Okay by me but kind of embarrassing when you're getting a steak for your next tapas but your young companions are down at the "side salad" part of the menu.) We tried to split the bill and our friendly server--who was genuinely nice, the poor girl--made such a hash of it the four of us used up our holiday talk time taking apart and putting back together the tabs like we were doing triage on bodies after an explosion. I ended up paying less than my portion but I'm not really complaining about that. When it was over our quintet (I'm including Jesus) headed over to another restaurant, The Octane Internet Lounge for dessert. At the Octane Internet Lounge they all got creme-brulees but I got a brie grilled cheese sandwich because a) I was still hungry and I'm not that large a guy. (I am overweight, no doubt about it but my self worth doesn't come from my body imagery--thank God for that--but it was the size of the portions at Abreo which caused the problems. They certainly had plate-room enough to give a few more squirts of pork mush.) And b) I contended then and remain convinced now that the brie grilled cheese dish, because it had apples and berries in it, counted as a dessert. The bread was crunchy, the cheese was toasted to a fine consistency and the entire dish was slathered in a tasty, sweet balsamic-y syrup. If it hadn't been for the potato wedges The Octane Internet Lounge would have it next to the creme brulee on the menu. And guess what. I went ahead and ate the potatoes too. After the expensive dinner at Obreo I was still hungry.

1  Thank AnxiousTravels
Reviewed 24 December 2017

We love dining in downtown Rockford and count Social and Octane as some of our favorite stops for great food and good conversation with friends. This was our first trip to Abreo, and based on our other downtown dining experiences, and word of mouth advertising, we had high hopes. Our first impressions were good: the atmosphere is clean and modern, yet intimate; and our waitress greeted us with a friendly smile and advice for eating their tapas-style approach to dining. We all started with drinks and salads. The salads were great: fresh, well-balanced, interesting. I could've eaten an entire meal of either the Apple or Beet Salads. But our cocktails were terrible. My friend and I asked before ordering for a recommendation. Our waitress suggested "The Muse," noting that "all" of their drinks were "very balanced". This was not. It was terribly bitter; in fact, it tasted like lemon concentrate. And basil and ginger flavors that were described on the menu were not apparent. When our waitress asked what we thought of the drinks, I noted my dislike; our waitress agreed that the drink was bitter--but offered no empathy, no apology, and no amends. In fact, the rest of the evening, she didn't ask us how we liked anything else...or even whether we'd like more to drink. (We did.) The plates that followed were average, at best. A bit pretentiously, the small hot dishes were served on ridiculously oversized bowls. The Asian noodles were so salty I downed an entire glass of water after eating that dish alone. (I had to ask for a refill.) After each trying 3 plates, we decided to go to Octane for an after-dinner drink and dessert. There were 4 of us: we all commented that we wished we just started there to begin with. Much warmer service, more down to earth, and a less shocking price tag.

1  Thank OneBagNoPhone
Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

Some friends told me about this restaurant, so I decided to try, well best place in town , food is super good cocktails amazing.
A place that i really recommend if you are in the area

Reviewed 22 September 2017

I dined at Abreo a few nights ago. I have been here several times before, but it has been a few years. Tuesday is $2 wine night so my friends enjoyed that, but I don't drink wine. The menu choices are interesting and varied and I love that they use as many local ingredients as they can. I ordered the Asian Noodles for $7 and the Steak Elote for $19. The noodles were very good with just enough spice on them at the medium spice range. It is a very small portion which is why I ordered a second dish. The Steak Elote was okay - lots of corn, sauce and maybe 2 oz of flank steak. I thought $19 for that dish was incredibly overpriced. You could dine out and have a whole meal for $19 and at least be full and satisfied. Service was great and the ambience is nice, though so loud that we had to practically shout at each other across the table. We did ask them to turn down the music and they were happy to oblige.
I will probably not make the trek downdown again for awhile to dine here as my husband would definitely leave hungry.

1  Thank Christine T