“A year later - the memory lives on....I'm feeling depressed just by being here”

Hyatt House Chicago/Schaumburg
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Really, we began to feel depressed by being at this hotel even though it was only 1 night. We stayed in a 2-bedroom suite. The bed linens and artwork were nice. The free pen worked well. The Pack and Play for our infant was a safety hazard (had a rip) and should never be given to a guest to use. The doors to our room were the thinnest and lightest we have ever seen in a hotel. They were reminiscent of a 1970's ranch house. Despite this, we didn't hear any other guests - but there were very few cars in the lot during our stay. The microwave was a small 700-watt type - reminding us of our college days in the 1980's. The kitchen cupboards smelled like they had been removed from a cabin. The silverware was dirty. The sink was a little bar sink. There was hair on the bathroom floor and evaporated water under the bath soap plate giving the appearance that the room had not been cleaned recently. The toilet only flushed when you held the handle down. The room had 2 washcloths - 1 per bathroom. Even with the drain open, water pooled in the tub during a shower. The living room seating was sparse making it difficult for 2 adults and 2 children to watch television. There was a dirty sock from another guest under the wall air conditioner. There was a nice Herman Miller-type desk chair. In the bedroom, there were white stains on the comforter and a pile of dirt on the floor. The breakfast area was small and crowded - almost competitive. Almost a year later, we remember it vividly, ....

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Summerfield_Suites, Manager at Hyatt House Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am sorry your visit did not meet your expectations. I am happy to report that there has been a change in management since your visit in August 2009 and many things have improved. If you are in the area again please give us another chance. You will be pleasantly surprised.
Again thank you for completing the survey.

Reviewed 20 July 2010

I walked into my room and right back out. This hotel does not meet Hyatt standards. The carpets in the halls were dirty. My room was dungy feeling and dark. The air conditioner was not on. (It's July!) The only carpeting is an area rug. No decorations. I felt like I was in a studio apt. in the inner city. It was awful. I checked out and went to the Residence Inn for $10 more.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Summerfield_Suites, General Manager at Hyatt House Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2010

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Thank you for commenting on your stay. With this I am able to improve upon things at the hotel.

Reviewed 1 July 2010

I am Sai Kumar. I stayed in Hyatt Summerfield Suites Chicago/Schuamburg hotel from 11-Apr-2010 to 7-June-2010.
I enjoyed the stay and I recommend all of my colleagues to stay in this hotel f they come to Schaumburg for business/leisure purpose.
But the only problem I had was, at the time of check out , I gave my email-id and asked them to send softcopy invoice to my email id.
Even after sending so many emails to consumeraffairs@hyatt.com, I couldn't get any response. Poor customer service.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Summerfield_Suites, General Manager at Hyatt House Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2010

Mr. Kumar,
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on the Hyatt Summerfield Suites Schaumburg. I appreciate that you will be referring others from your company to our hotel. I am sorry that you haven't received the folios you've been looking for. My front office manager will be in touch with you and she will make sure you receive the paper work you were looking for. I hope that you will stay with us again the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 25 May 2010

We stayed for a Friday and Saturday. The hotel is in an excellent location (across from Woodfield Mall area) and an easy drive to the Medinah Metra Train Station. Extremely clean facilities and the staff was excellent...especially Mia! We were very pleased with our entire stay at this Hyatt Summerfield Suites. The full, free breakfast each morning was great! Nicest part was that the floors are solid and we didn't get the constant thumping and walking around you hear above you at 90% of hotels. We used the Metra Train both days to go into downtown Chicago ($7 for adults all weekend and kids are free; parking at the station is free on weekends). Overall, an excellent choice for your Chicago adventures...without paying the high downtown hotel rates, parking, and the headache of traffic. We will be back!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Summerfield_Suites, General Manager at Hyatt House Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2010

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 May 2010

So I was looking for a killer deal in Chicago for a quickie Chicago getaway....Spring in Chicago can be wonderful and I decided to see the sights and eat the eats for the weekend in the city.....I've been to Chicago a few times and have a fairly good idea of the lay of the land.....Checked and checked for great deals online finally deciding to bid on a room via Priceline. After a number of attempts to low ball it I finally hit it with a $34 bid and got the Hyatt Summerfield suites a realistic 3 star in the burbs.... I always rent a car because I want the freedom to do as I want so a burb locale works for me. Now if you want to be in the heart of city action this wouldn't be for you, but I like to leave the madding city for the quiet of the burbs. The suite was large, clean, with a kitchenette and sofa and free parking and internet (YES!!) and a complementary full buffet breakfast. Was this a smokin' deal or what.! At $34 a night, and a car for $9 a day, I was in PHAT heaven....with the savings I enjoyed a couple of guilt free class dinners and drinks and theatre in the city and a Frank Lloyd Wright event. I can't comment on daily houskeeping since I never want it -I'm only there for a couple nights and don't want anyone in my room . The desk staff was pleasant and responded quickly when I let them know the refrigerator in my room was noisy- viola-they changed my room without hesitation. The bed was comfy, the pillows weren't-but then I'm really picky about pillows-sooooo.... Breakfast was good-you will have to microwave the warm food -I like my french toast and scrambled eggs and sausage HOT. The coffee is Seattle's Best. There's a pool and a gym-but I was there to take in the city and the sights and you get tons of walking in when you're in the city-so the gym wasn't needed for this trip-but it is nice to have it available for a longer stay. There really aren't any negatives with this hotel. If you need a lot of attention and pampering, and concierge services, this probably isn't for you. It is in the burbs, but you are 5 min to the toll ways so getting to the city isn't an issue. And with me, it really is all about getting a great deal...this was a great deal

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Summerfield_Suites, General Manager at Hyatt House Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2010

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey on the Hyatt Summerfield Suites Schaumburg. I am happy that you found the location and accomodations perfect for your needs and I hope to see you again soon.