US$118
US$75
US$125
US$76
US$66
All reviewshorseback ridingnice resortbedroom condoactivities centerstarved rock state parktimeshare presentationindoor waterparkactivity roomfox river resortpaddle boatsrecommend this resortping pongwasher dryerspent a weekmain buildingfull kitchenfrom chicago
Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Upon arriving, I was pleasantly greeted at check in, signed appropriate forms and given keys. I was told I had to walk 15 ft across the room to obtain my parking pass.

I had to go to the "Vacation Center" to get a parking pass and be told I could have extra amenities if I would go to a sales pitch. Apparently no one looks to see that I became a VIP owner 8 weeks ago, what do I need another sales lecture for? I was told they have info that even corporate does not have!! Really, who are they kidding?

I told this blonde woman "No" 6x before my husband stepped in and told her no, only then did she stop. There was no reason check in could not give me a parking pass, just wanting you to spend more money, no consideration at all!!

No wifi in units, so ridiculous!! Called ahead to make sure my unit was clean as previous reviews had some housekeeping issues, my unit was fine.

Holiday Inn needs to stop bugging people and let them enjoy their vacation!!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank ttkura
HIClubCounselor, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Fox River Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2017

Congratulations on upgrading your Membership with Holiday Inn Club! We value our members as the backbone and future of our success.

We're delighted to hear that your unit was clean and comfortable at Fox River Resort. This is always our goal. There are lots of exciting things planned for Fox River over the next few years, and WiFi is definitely on the list!

Our tour representatives have a passion for what they do in helping guests understand the benefits of Club Membership, but we never want that passion to translate into negative pressure. Your feedback is much appreciated, and we look forward to seeing you again soon! Thanks for sharing your comments.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Positives: staff are very friendly, waterpark was great, indoor and outdoor pool options, several restaurant options on site, numerous activities

Negatives: EXTREMELY dirty - after 4 hrs in the water park and baths - our feet were black after walking in the unit for only 30 min, there was dried on food in the fridge, furniture was sticky/dirty, outdoor patio furniture was run down and dirty; very small living room. kitchens, and bathrooms. We stayed in a 2 bedroom and had 2 adults and 2 kids under 5 and were tripping over each other; there were lots of games to check out but all the ones we checked out had broken boxes and boards; arcade games weren't working properly; although there were things to check out to do, everything was old and run down; there are security gate at both ends of the property, but they were never manned and the gates were open at all times; pool areas did not have enough furniture to accommodate everyone and there weren't many people there; although staff were very nice, they didn't explain anything unless you asked specific questions; the phones in the unit were either not working or the staff at the activities center just never answered the phone; there were minimum age limits to some activities which would have been nice to know prior to arrival; the pictures shown on the website don't match the majority of the buildings. If you want a washer/dryer in the unit, you will need to rent the upgraded presidential rooms; there are no elevators, so depending on the building you are in, you will need to carry your things either up narrow stairwells.

Room Tip: Building N on a middle floor had easy access and was quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Dawn W
HIClubCounselor, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Fox River Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

We’re glad you appreciated the activities at Fox River Resort! It’s always our goal to be sure our guests have plenty to do and receive outstanding service while they’re with us.

So sorry to hear about the frustrations you experienced. Whenever something isn't perfect with your unit, we want to know so that we can correct any problems right away. Inspections are an important part of our housekeeping process, and we regret to hear that some things were missed. All of our units are on a renovation schedule every few years, based on the expected useful life of each item. There can be some variation in wear and we apologize your unit was not as fresh as you had hoped.

We hope you’ll give us your consideration for a future trip so we can show you how wonderful a vacation with us can be!

Reviewed 22 August 2017

Called before leaving to request two cribs, was told it would be no problem. When we arrived, the cribs were not available, because they have a first come, first serve rule. Would have been nice to have been told that. Had to drive into town to buy two pack 'n plays for the kids to have a place to sleep. The phones were dead. The sheets were dirty, with stains, glitter, and a lot of hair. Was told that there were no housekeepers on duty, so they had maintenance bring clean sheets for me to remake the bed myself. Not exactly what I had in mind for my first night of vacation. Leftover food from previous occupants. Underneath the beds and in the corners along the walls were dirty, as if only the middle of the floor was vaccummed. Only a few grills sporadically placed on the grounds. The grill closest to our unit had caked on marshmallow and gunk, so had to walk across the parking lot and neighboring lawn to use a different grill. Outdoor pool area is adequate, but there is not a kiddy pool. The waterpark is not included with your stay unless you attend a sales pitch. The activity area is nice, but the food / snacks are on the pricey side.

Room Tip: I will not return here or use our precious banked RCI time at this resort.
Reviewed 17 August 2017

This is one of Holliday Inn Vacation Clubs newest resorts. Located in Illinois makes it easy to reach for those of us not able to make the trip to Vermont or Wisconsin, but still wishing to experience an outdoor experience,from fishing to horseback riding. The resort was once part of a much smaller club and featured fewer amenities and room options than it does today. Over the past 24 months an indoor water park has been added as well as additional accommodations for club members. As a preferred member, owning in Las Vegas and at Orange Lake in Orlando, my grandson and I stayed in one of their Presidential Penthouse units. There was plenty of room and the rooms were spacious, we had a nice balcony that overlooked a small lake, each of us had our own bedroom.....my grandson always opts for the master suite and his room was connected to a huge bathroom with a glass enclosed shower for two, a Jacuzzi, and other features. The second bedroom had it's own bathroom and was larger than most. We had two kitchens as the unit was set up in a lock-out configuration, there was Wi-Fi, a TV in both bedrooms and a larger one in the living room area. The unit was clean throughout. On site there was a Subway, a Pizza place, and a small grill in the main building. (Don't expect to go off site to a restaurant unless you plan to drive about 30 miles. A single gas/grocery/pizza store serves the entire village of Norway which is approx. one mile from the main entrance to the resort.) My grandson and I visited the industrial and science museum in Chicago, about 75 miles to the north, on a rainy day. The rest of the time we used the water park ($16 for members and $21 for non-members); played shuffle board; played miniature golf; spent time in two small arcades; went fishing every evening. The on-site small lake is stocked with small mouth bass, catfish, blue gills, and crappie. We caught about 100 or so fish, mostly palm size blue gills.(While night crawlers and waxworms work fine, so does Berkley's shiners soaked in GULP). But for my grandson...this was great fun. We also rented and fished from one of their paddle boats ($6 hr). A canoe option was also available. There is a nine hole golf course (no carts, but you can bring along your own), and a stable with six or seven horses. Unlike other Holiday Inn resorts, you can also stay in your own RV with both water and electric hookups on site (no tent camping). There is a huge indoor pool in addition to the water park and a nice sized outdoor pool. Two or three basket ball courts, one or two sand lot volley ball courts, horseshoe pits, and hiking trails are some of the other amenities. The resort is well staffed, employees friendly, and one would be hard pressed to find a scrap of paper laying anywhere. Dozens of picnic tables and charcoal grills are scattered throughout the area. While not all units have a washer and dryer (ours did), there is an on-site laundry room. The resort is very laid back and for us who usually stay in Orlando or near some other big metropolis or activity area, it is a big change. However both of us had fun, as junior always likes to challenge grandpa at fishing and games. For us, we had a great time.

2  Thank Kent S
Reviewed 14 August 2017

We exchanged here through RCI, and we are also considering buying a Holiday Inn Vacation Club after a presentation at another location.

I'll talk about the good first:
-The 2 bedroom condo was very spacious and fit our family of 5 very comfortably.

-We had a problem with our hot water heater, which was fixed very promptly when we alerted the staff.

-The outdoor patios were very nice and relaxing, great for enjoying a morning cup of coffee. We used the grill in our courtyard one evening, that was a plus.

-The onsite amenities were great, we really enjoyed the fishing lake and taking advantage of the activity center. You can play mini golf for free, and you can rent tennis racquets/balls at no charge. If you have your own golf clubs, you can play the regular golf course for free, or you can pay a small fee to rent clubs. Also, we checked several games out to play in our room. This was a huge plus to our family!

-A lot of people complain about the location, but we like that it's away from the hustle and bustle. We enjoyed a day trip to Naperville, two trips to Chicago, and a day to a local outdoor waterpark near Aurora. It's also very close to Starved Rock State Park (which is free to park/hike!). Ottawa is reasonably close to grocery shop, and there are some great restaurants we enjoyed there.

-Furniture seemed brand new, and very updated.

Our not so favorite parts:

-Our unit was not as clean as other RCI or Holiday Inn facilities that we have stayed at, and that was really disappointing. We expected a higher attention to detail regarding cleanliness. The kitchen was really grubby (counters, floors) and the floors through the unit weren't really vacuumed well when we arrived. Under sinks (bathrooms and kitchen) were GROSS. The bed comforters in both bedrooms were also dirty. Based on other reviews and how long this has been an issue, I would have expected this to be resolved by now. Unclean rooms are unacceptable for RCI and Holiday Inn standards. We are asked to take our trash out before departure, so I would expect the extra time we take as guests should be used wisely by the cleaning staff to pay attention to the other details.

-I don't like that smoking is allowed on the patios. We had to cut our time short out on our deck because of smoking neighbors.

3  Thank HuskerTriMomof3
HIClubCounselor, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Fox River Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed the activities and spacious accommodations at Fox River Resort! It's always our mission to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive outstanding service.

Whenever something isn't perfect in your unit, we want to know so that we can correct any problems right away. Inspections are an important part of our housekeeping process, and we're sorry to hear that so many things were missed.

There are many wonderful things planned for Fox River over the next few years. We hope to see you again for a future trip to the area! Thanks for sharing your comments.