“Great Place”

Ranked #23 of 90 Restaurants in Wheeling
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: El Alamo Mexican Grill brings you the best home-made food and service to Wheeling. Come visit us!
Reviewed 6 May 2017

Went here with my daughter and her family to celebrate her husband Mike's birthday. We had tried to get in at another popular Mexican restaurant in Arlington Hts,m but the wait time was too long. To be fair it was Cinco de Mayo. So my daughter check her app to find another Mexican restaurant and came up with El Alamo.
It is a small mon and pop establishment, the sever was fantastic, very friendly and chatty. The food was very good, very large portions. I should mention the wait time there was about 5 minutes. They were crowded but still the serve was great.
When the owner found out that it was Mike's birthday he offered him a drink of his chice on the house, then gave him a Mexican Sombrero, Later he gave both Mike and I T- Shirts That had Cinco de Mayo on it. Then after dinner the owner brought Mike a Shot of Tequila. We had ordered one cheese cake and when they brought that out they had a candle in it and sang Happy Birthday. We also ordered one fried Ice Cream, that came in a taco shell the type they use for a taco salad. The Ice Cream was very good an it looked to be a pint, the portion size surprised us it was so large.
All the food was excellent. Can't say enough good things about this place. I would most definitely go here again.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

My wife and I were blown away by the great service and incredibly tasty food at El Alamo. The food prices are in the mid-range, but the quality is very nice. I tried a Villarta Burrito (shrimp and pico) and was blown away by the flavor. The food came with beans and rice on the side in a reasonable portion and the chips and roasted tomato salsa were really nice. My wife ordered a house specialty steak fajita and that was really tasty as well. We left happy and wanting to come back. Nicely done, El Alamo!

Reviewed 11 January 2016

Great Mexican food. They have a large menu that includes steaks, seafood, and usual tex/mex stuff. I am working my way down their menu, and everything so far has been great. Must try: mocajetes, steaks, tacos, sopa de mariscos

Reviewed 10 September 2015

Average Mexican fare, Karaoke on weekend nights are fun and waitstaff attentive. Serves the usual south of the border choices.

Reviewed 13 August 2015 via mobile

The meals were preceded with house margaritas, large enough to bathe in. The $7 price was quite a bargain and exceptionally prepared. Entrees consisted of two house specialities. The presentation and familiar flavors reminded us of days of long ago when we enjoyed similar favorites in many a cafe in Acapulco. The server was overly helpful and delivered our choices in record time at marathon speed. This is a no frills place, but one that should not be missed when searching for the "real thing". We shall definitely return.