“Elegant atmosphere with delicious food”
Review of Stompin Barley

Stompin Barley
Reserve with OpenTable
Stompin Barley is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #124 of 287 Restaurants in Carmel
Price range: US$6 - US$32
Description: Located at the crossroads of Hamilton County. Casual contemporary environment. A great place to wine down. Enjoy appetizers, salads, tacos, sliders or an entree. Wide variety of wines by the glass and bottle. Craft beers on draft and domestic, imports and craft by the bottle. We are a 21 and over establishment.
Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

I visited with my 23 year old daughter and my husband. We were seated at a high top in the bar (even though I requested a standard table on Open Table). There was a larger party gathering at the bar, so it was a little noisy. Once they went to their table, it was fine. I had a small plate with tenderloin medallions that were cooked perfectly and accompanied by sweet potato fries. My husband ordered shrimp and grits, which came with large shrimp and he said it was very good. My vegetarian gluten free daughter ordered a salad, which she said tasted great but was small and left her still hungry afterward. We did not try the wines, but did note they have a nice selection. I ordered a beer from the short but decent list. The restaurant is an open concept, with pretty decor and a nice ambiance. I felt under dressed in my jeans and tennis shoes. This would be a great place for a date or small couples dinner party, especially if you enjoy wine.

1  Thank Julie S

Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

We had very high hopes for this restaurant. They are nestled back a bit off of river rd and 146th in a quiet plaza. The general ambiance is very hipster and it is clear that they are trying hard to appeal to that crowd. They have a large wine list full of “craft” wines and a good local beer selection.

That’s the positives. But unfortunately the good part of the experience ends there. First of all, as others have mentioned, while our server was very nice service was glacially slow. It took more than 10 minutes for him to even get to the table and then another 10 to get the beer samples we requested. Then another 10 for the beer and a good 30 for our meal- this all on a Wednesday night with about 25 people in the restaurant.

As for the food. First of all, they certainly appeal to their hipster goal by having small to medium size plates with exorbitant pricing. Oh. And naturally if you would like a side... that’s $5 extra. I ordered the scallops at $26 and substituted a bed of rice for the corn salsa. My spouse ordered the lamb.

When I received my meal, it was on a bed of... well. Onions. Their wasn’t a single grain of “rice” that I could find on the plate. But it was ok because the strong onion taste covered up the fishiness of the scallops. Now first of all, I understand that it is extremely difficult to get fresh seafood in Indiana, and scallops can sometimes have a bit of a fishy flavor even when fresh, but this was extreme. They tasted like they had been left for a couple of days and then seared (it’s a problem
When I can get fresher tasting scallops at red lobster) We ended up sending them back. Both for the apparent difference in definition of the word rice and the aforementioned fishy taste. My spouses lamb was ok. Not great but ok.

The only major plus was that they had a live band which was both good and understated (the speakers weren’t so loud they drowned out conversation)

All in all, I think they were overpriced and trying very hard to be something they are not. If you dig that kind of “we’re in Indiana but trying to be New York” ambiance this is the place for you.

Reviewed 5 November 2017

We had a party of three out for a relaxing dinner. General impressions:
- Ambiance was a bit mixed - some aspects of a sports bar (TVs, sports items behind the bar) but seating that seemed to strive more for an intimate wine bar and restaurant.
- We had the Barley Board appetizer which was nice.
- For dinner, two entrée salads were okay but nothing special. I order the rack of lamb which was not inexpensive but was the poorest I've ever had - only four chops, each approximately 1/2 in thick and very fatty. I'm surprised a head chef would let that type of cut leave the kitchen.
With all the choices in the Carmel and Fishers area, I don't see this restaurant remaining competitive unless they improve their offering.

1  Thank Doug P
Reviewed 15 September 2017

We dine out a lot, and prefer local places with creative menus, so had high hopes for Stompin Barley. We made a reservation since we knew it may be busy on a Friday night during Devour Indy. When we arrived, a harried host ignored us for a while, but got it together after about 5 minutes to greet us. He mentioned something about a free wine sample, and I asked for the red. We did receive ice water promptly, but nothing else for 15 minutes. No wine sample, no server stopped by, and it was not packed. The server finally stopped by and we gave him our order in case slow service is the norm. We ordered from the Devour menu. About another 10 or 15 minutes later, I got the wine sample. But then the server did not know which wine that was on the list (so I could read about it and see how much a glass would be). So I picked another red. He didn't seem to know much about wines, and I thought that wine was part of the core of this restaurant. We then waited about another 30-35 minutes to get my husband's appetizer. Mine was about another 10-15 minutes later. My husband's was ok, but tiny (4-5 small mushrooms) and mine was not good. The shrimp were way overcooked, tough and chewy. It looked nice, but was so over seasoned and overcooked that I couldn't eat it. The waiter finally sent over the manager, who turned out to be the harried host who made the first bad impression. Who muttered his apologies, and that they would do something about the bill. Another 15 minutes went by with no entrees and no acknowledgement. So after an hour and a half, one glass of wine and not great appetizers, we gave up and left. We left $25 on the table, and proceeded to another restaurant where we were actually served. It was so amazingly bad, and I don't understand why. The restaurant didn't look that busy and we didn't order anything special. I sent an email to their website - almost hoping for some extenuating circumstance (I really wanted to like this place). But after a week and a half I have heard nothing. It's hard for me to give 1-star reviews, but this place earned it. Sadly it is very unlikely that we will be back.

1  Thank VM_Indy
Reviewed 20 July 2017

Visited here with a group of 13, they were ready for us. Their menu is on the expensive side but for the most part everyone was happy with their meal. The exception was the lamb, which was overcooked. My wife sent hers back, and got another overcooked portion. Meal should have been comped, but was not. The comment from the other person was 'it's OK'. Good reviews on the scallops and steaks. Wine was very good, again a bit on the high side. We'll give it another try.