“Wonderful dinner”
Review of Stompin Barley

Stompin Barley
Reserve with OpenTable
Stompin Barley is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #119 of 295 Restaurants in Carmel
Price range: US$6 - US$32
Description: Located at the crossroads of Hamilton County. Casual contemporary environment. A great place to wine down. Enjoy appetizers, salads, tacos, sliders or an entree. Wide variety of wines by the glass and bottle. Craft beers on draft and domestic, imports and craft by the bottle. We are a 21 and over establishment.
Reviewed 15 January 2018 via mobile

We met friends for dinner at this relatively new place. We were pleasantly surprised at the ambiance and the service. Very nice atmosphere, food was excellent. We all had something different, fillet, mussels, scallops, and burger in pasty puff, all excellent. There was a group party near us which made it very difficult to hear (we are older) however we had a wonderful time. Our waitress Lauren was very attentive and was very good at suggestions and answering our questions. Lovely evening.
Give it a try and let me know if you agree.

Date of visit: January 2018

Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

I've been several times now and have never had a bad experience. Tried and loved nearly every glass of wine and have been offered samples on more than one occasion. I am a vegetarian, so I can't speak for much of the menu; however, there is always something vegetarian, and it's usually amazing. The Beet salad was my favorite salad anywhere when it was featured. This time the Butternut Squash Caprese was also unique and delicious. And everyone I've ever eaten with here has raved about their meal as well. The service had always been fine, although I've never timed it. I've always been with friends or other couples, so maybe we've just been content talking and not noticed. Every server has been pleasant and sometimes even chatty if business is slow. Ambiance is lovely and not at all what you'd expect from the strip mall exterior. We love this place and hope to continue to support it and see what new offerings they come up with!

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 1 January 2018

My husband I reserved a table for an early New Year's Eve dinner. From the time we walked into the restaurant to the time we left, everything was fantastic. The atmosphere was modern, more upscale, but not cold. We were offered a sample of our choice between two wines when we arrived. We were seated at our table and our waitress Gretchen promptly introduced herself, asked if we had any questions, and took our drink order. Once the drink order was brought out, she took our food order. Our food came out at a good pace, neither too fast nor too slow. Dishes were removed in a timely manner but we were not rushed at all. I would recommend this place for any adult (must be 21 or older) who is looking for a leisurely dining experience.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

I visited with my 23 year old daughter and my husband. We were seated at a high top in the bar (even though I requested a standard table on Open Table). There was a larger party gathering at the bar, so it was a little noisy. Once they went to their table, it was fine. I had a small plate with tenderloin medallions that were cooked perfectly and accompanied by sweet potato fries. My husband ordered shrimp and grits, which came with large shrimp and he said it was very good. My vegetarian gluten free daughter ordered a salad, which she said tasted great but was small and left her still hungry afterward. We did not try the wines, but did note they have a nice selection. I ordered a beer from the short but decent list. The restaurant is an open concept, with pretty decor and a nice ambiance. I felt under dressed in my jeans and tennis shoes. This would be a great place for a date or small couples dinner party, especially if you enjoy wine.

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank juliesS7418MM
Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

We had very high hopes for this restaurant. They are nestled back a bit off of river rd and 146th in a quiet plaza. The general ambiance is very hipster and it is clear that they are trying hard to appeal to that crowd. They have a large wine list full of “craft” wines and a good local beer selection.

That’s the positives. But unfortunately the good part of the experience ends there. First of all, as others have mentioned, while our server was very nice service was glacially slow. It took more than 10 minutes for him to even get to the table and then another 10 to get the beer samples we requested. Then another 10 for the beer and a good 30 for our meal- this all on a Wednesday night with about 25 people in the restaurant.

As for the food. First of all, they certainly appeal to their hipster goal by having small to medium size plates with exorbitant pricing. Oh. And naturally if you would like a side... that’s $5 extra. I ordered the scallops at $26 and substituted a bed of rice for the corn salsa. My spouse ordered the lamb.

When I received my meal, it was on a bed of... well. Onions. Their wasn’t a single grain of “rice” that I could find on the plate. But it was ok because the strong onion taste covered up the fishiness of the scallops. Now first of all, I understand that it is extremely difficult to get fresh seafood in Indiana, and scallops can sometimes have a bit of a fishy flavor even when fresh, but this was extreme. They tasted like they had been left for a couple of days and then seared (it’s a problem
When I can get fresher tasting scallops at red lobster) We ended up sending them back. Both for the apparent difference in definition of the word rice and the aforementioned fishy taste. My spouses lamb was ok. Not great but ok.

The only major plus was that they had a live band which was both good and understated (the speakers weren’t so loud they drowned out conversation)

All in all, I think they were overpriced and trying very hard to be something they are not. If you dig that kind of “we’re in Indiana but trying to be New York” ambiance this is the place for you.

Date of visit: November 2017