“Friendly staff-but not up to HIE quality ”

Holiday Inn Express Fremont
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fremont
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

Credit Heidi at the front desk for garnering an extra star from me. My wife and I actively seek HIE properties for short "highway" stays. We picked this property due to its proximity to Pokagon SP where we were photographing a wedding. Check in went smoothly. But when we entered the room-it felt humid and about ten degrees warmer than the hall outside. The window AC unit was at its lowest setting and no cold air was coming out. Strike one. To their credit, a tech was dispatched immediately to our room. He looked at the unit then told us he had replaced the thermocouple three times and even swapped out the actual AC before. So if that's true, why didn't he inform the front desk that this room's AC still didn't function so they could take it out of rotation? Strike two. But-the front desk immediately changed our room without question. Good recovery. The room category that we chose has a large jetted tub and king bed. It was comfortable enough-but the carpet and furnishings did seem rather dated compared to other HIE properties we've stayed at recently. I've read other comments about water quality. We had no such issues. This hotel puts out fresh cookies at 6pm. I assumed it's for guests. But the experience I had at the cookie "event" made my jaw drop. The warm treats arrived and were placed at the check in counter. I went to nab a chocolate chip for me and an oatmeal raisin firm my wife. The hotel provides tongs to pick up your cookie. So as I'm getting my cookies, here comes a cleaning lady and reaches into the pile with her bare hands. I say WHOA and offer her the tongs. She keeps grabbing and I say USE THE TONGS! But she ignored me saying she "didn't have time." Look. If I'm at home with my family and put out a plate of cookies-we don't use tongs. But this is a different situation. Had this woman just had her hands in a toilet bowl? And what's more...who are these cookies for? Guests or the hired staff? Really bad practice. The manager (I assume) gave a cursory apology to me and rebuff to the employee who toddled out with her cookie. Enter Heidi. She showed actual shock and remorse for what happened and took the cookies away and promised to bring out a new clean batch in 20 minutes. We chatted with Heidi and got some dinner recommendations and her suggestion of nearby Timbuktoo's was a winner. Heidi's genuine smile and concern for our stay was greatly appreciated.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Nancy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Fremont, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2017

Dear Sir;
We can not apologize enough for the event and have severely reprimanded the staff member that breached protocol. We did immediately pull the cookies and replaced with fresh baked for you and our guests, sanitizing the dispenser to ensure its cleanliness. This is not our normal practice of allowing staff members the benefits of guests and have taken steps to ensure it will not occur again. Thank you for your additional feedback on the guest room conditions and will address them with the staff to make sure they are rectified. We do hope you will visit us again so we may prove our commitment to quality lodging and service. Our deepest apologies that things were not as they should have been.

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

Stayed here while passing through to Michigan. Water tasted foul in bathroom. I had my wife and children with me and did not feel comfortable with the other guests in the lobby. In fact, I didn't feel totally safe overall as I heard arguing coming from a room across the hallway. One guest just randomly began talking to me and my 3 year old (who was immediately creeped out by this man). Safety and security should be the top priority for improvement for this hotel. Will not stay here again.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Nancy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Fremont, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2017

Dear Tyler G;

We are thankful for your candid review. Most of our guests are here to rest and relax at many of the local lakes and campgrounds. I can assure you we are safe and secure at this facility with camera surveillance in our lot and public areas. We must always be diligent in the security of our guests and ensure their comfort. We do apologize that was not the case for your family. Most of our guest are friendly, openly conversing with other travelers as would be expected in our small town community.
We have a large amount of repeat guests that feel our location is like a second home and therefore not as guarded with starting up a conversation with strangers. Again we can assure you this is a safe and very friendly location.

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

Our family will look for Holiday Inn Express hotels when traveling. They are usually updated and clean, with a nice free breakfast. While the staff was friendly, our room (a hospitality suite) had hair in the tub and sink. My 14-year-old daughter saw this and was grossed out. The outdoor pool was a little run down, and unlike many similar hotels, this one does not have a little store for snacks and toiletries.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Nancy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Fremont, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2017

We do apologize we had fallen short and this issue will be addressed with the staff to ensure it does not happen again in the future.
We prefer not to charge for the extra toiletries and offer them complimentary at our desk. We can not apologize enough for our high iron content in our water at this time. It has discolored our pool liner and linens. As we are diligently working on a solution we ask for understanding while we get this issue in hand. We hope the balance of your stay was pleasant and the you will again afford us the opportunity to prove our commitment to quality service.

Reviewed 21 July 2017

Holiday Inn Express is never my first choice of hotels, however I was traveling to the area
on business and this hotel seemed the best of limited options AND it has easy access from I-69 and the Indiana Tollway(90). The front desk staff gets cudos for the welcoming and energetic check-in. The rooms(a King) was large, but dated and the breakfast is 'okay.' The hotel overall may be a 'good' the HI Express world, but in my book it gets a 'below average' for age, cleanliness and overall appeal. My rating was lowered primarily because, upon returning to my room after a long day(it was necessarily a two-nite stay) I found it wasn't serviced! Especially troubling because when I left in the AM, the maid was cleaning the room next door. The front desk responded with apologies and fresh towels, but this really confirmed my decision to avoid this hotel again if my travels bring me back. A side bar; I took note of several carfuls of families, parking, using the pool and then moving on down the road!?!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business

We respect guest's request for 'do not disturb' on our guestroom doors making note of the time. We then follow up with a call to the room to ask if there is any services required prior to the staff departing for the day. It is with our deepest apologies that your room was not serviced but must also respect the request posted on the door. If this was left in error, please understand there was every attempt to contact and could only go by the posted signage. Our pool is for use by registered guests only. Thank you for pointing out the perception of road travelers using our facilities and we will ensure only registered guests are using the pool in the future.

Reviewed 8 July 2017

The front desk staff were very friendly and welcoming. The room was generally clean but the water was discolored and had an odor. In fact, all the plumbing in the bathroom seemed sluggish. The only restaurants in the immediate area are fast food and truck stops.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Fremont, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2017

Hello SMTfromMI!

I'm glad to hear back from one of our valued guests. Your kind words for our hotel staff and clean rooms inspire us to do more for our guests. On the other hand, I'm very sorry to learn that there was an issue with your bathroom plumbing. Everybody here wants each of our guests to leave with pleasant memories.

We take feedback seriously and will coach our maintenance team to make the necessary changes so we can provide a better experience in the future. I appreciate you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to let us know about your experience. I hope you will consider giving us another chance in the future to demonstrate our commitment to satisfaction in all areas of the guest experience.

Warmest Regards,

Gian M
Case Manager
IHGService

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fremont
0.7 km away
39.7 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bryan-Montpelier
39.7 km away
Quality Inn Bryan/Montpelier

Been to Holiday Inn Express Fremont? Share your experiences!