“Mahi Mahi and Walleye - very good”

Kona Jack's Fish Market
Reserve with OpenTable
Kona Jack's Fish Market is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #117 of 2,561 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 96th & Meridian
Transit: Nearby Indianapolis bus top is available.
Reviewed 17 November 2017

After looking at reviews for seafood restaurants while traveling in the area, we decided to try Kona's on a Thursday night around 6pm. Place was about 1/3 full. We ordered two fish dishes and both were very good. Our meals came with either soup/chowder or salad. The New England clam chowder was really good. The salad was simple and nothing special, but I did like the ginger soy dressing. They also brought out warm bread and special butter. Service was excellent. We noticed while dining there, several take out orders being picked up and many diners around us were ordering the sushi and rolls. If we're back in the area, we would not hesitate to come again and try more dishes.

Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

Had a great ceaser salad and dhrinp cocktail at lunch yesterday. It was well worth the drive from Greenwood....

Reviewed 27 September 2017

I have only eaten at Kona Jack's this one time and probably would give them a second chance because family members who frequent the place love it. My meal was a disappointment.

The night we ate there one of the specials was promoted as Lobster and Filet. It was a 6oz filet and a lobster tail that was not described so I was expecting something relatively small.

On the good side, both portions were generous and the salad that preceded the main course was just fine. I also wasn't crazy about the sides that were offered as they were all starches and our server said she might be able to provide asparagus instead. As it turned out that was available and they were perfect.

Unfortunately the main course was not. The lobster was a generously sized tail that was not overcooked. . .in fact it was slightly undercooked but I prefer that to having seafood that has the texture of rubber. The problem was that it had utterly no flavor. I don't know if they topped it with anything before putting it under the broiler but whatever it was turned out to be subtle to the point of not being discernable.

The alleged filet was another matter. I requested medium rare which was pretty accurately delivered. What wasn't accurate was calling this thing a filet. While it was certainly beef and not attached to a bone (thus technically being a filet), usually in restaurants that do surf and turf and call it Lobster and Filet, the assumption is that it is Filet Mignon. If the steak I got was Filet Mignon, I am a porterhouse. It was cooked to the right pinkness but surprisingly tough. It took some work to saw through it even with the large steak knife they provided.

Our server was very pleasant but the sense I had was that I probably would have had a far better dinner if I had had one of the standard menu items like the Sea Bass. If I go back, I will probably avoid the specials.

1  Thank pyrprshr
Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

Our son was in town for his birthday and that meant a trip to Kona Jack's. We love the food, the atmosphere and the wait staff and they never disappoint.

2  Thank DMJA21
Reviewed 3 August 2017

I'm not reviewing the restaurant(s), but the fish market. For many years we have relied solely on Kona Jack for all our fish. They always have the basics, and the fish is fresh. They will filet and skin the fish at your request and even provide ice for the trip home.

1  Thank 452CraigS