“Better Pizza in Your Grocer's Freezer”

Jockamo Upper Crust Pizza
Ranked #56 of 2,426 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Independently owned upscale, full service pizza restaurant. Appetizers, sandwiches, salads and desserts also available. Most everything made in-house. Cheeses ground fresh daily. Beer and wine available with many local craft beers available. Offer carryout and delivery.
Reviewed 1 December 2017

Today I had a colleague in from another city to do some work. Asking him what he wanted for lunch he said ". . . some really great pizza . . ." so I thought back to some friends of mine who dine here and love it. A quick phone call to the store and lunch was ordered. I asked the woman taking my order if they had 20 oz sodas in bottles to which she said yes so we added two Sprites on the tab and waited on time to pick it up.

When I arrived I provided the gentleman at the counter my name and watched as he slapped my pizza and two fountain drinks on the counter telling me it would be $25 and change. I told the gentleman I needed the bottled sodas and advised him when I ordered I asked the woman if they had 20 oz bottles and she said yes. The guy told me all they had was two-liters and cans and promptly gave me two cans in place of the non-existent 20 oz bottles; both of which were sticky and had to be wiped off after getting them back to the office. I guess there wasn't a price difference for the smaller quantity cans . . . or maybe the sticky cans cost extra.

Sadly this was the best part of my "upper crust" experience. Full disclosure, I'm a fat guy that loves his pizza so I eat it . . . a lot. There are few meals I enjoy more than a few slices of delicious hot pizza loaded with flavorful toppings and a thin tasty crust. Today was not an enjoyable lunch. In fact, I can honestly say that I've had more flavorful and better textured pizza from the freezer section in a grocery store. I would have preferred hitting one of the 2 - 3 stop & rob gas stations on the way here and made do with whatever pizza they had in their lunch counter hot box.

The crust was covered in a thin layer of gritty flour and had no taste what-so-ever. It was like eating a stale cracker . . . and not a good cracker like a Ritz, but those nasty ones you get in MRE packets. Better yet, look up how to make your own hard tack and whip yourself up a batch and you'll understand what I'm talking about. Oops, did I just give away their dough recipe?

The sauce was not much better. It tasted like a mouthful of canned tomato paste with no seasoning. I expected some spice from the sausage, but there was little (if any) flavor to it at all and, to make it worse, it was very greasy. The cheese was hot and there was a lot of it. That's it, that's the best thing I can say about the cheese on my pizza . . . it was hot and there was a lot of it. Perhaps to try to add a little flavor to it, someone had dumped what looked like a bunch of canned Italian seasoning on top. I shouldn't complain about that though because at least it had some zest and texture to it. The mushrooms tasted like mushrooms . . . a fungus, but one I admittedly enjoy. All-in-all, if not for the fungus and the boot leg Mrs. Dash poured all over the pie it would have been completely without merit.

Now here I sit, embarrassed in from of my colleague, mad at my friends for giving me such an obviously flawed account of how good this pizza is (maybe it was a late "April Fools" day prank on their part), and just under $30 lighter in the wallet for something that we threw half of away. Lesson learned though, next time I'll skip the wanna-be Red Baron and take my co-workers out to Giordano's when they want some really good pizza.

Reviewed 11 November 2017

WE are on a quest to find the perfect pie. This trip through Indy had us searching TripAdvisor for pizza. This restaurant was highly recommended by others so we wanted to give it a try. It was a rainy fall day. Parking was difficult because of how busy this place is. You do not think of the parking situation often until you are dealing with the elements. After a few passes thru the parking located in the rear of this establishment we found someone leaving.

We were seated after a short wait. WE ordered the bread sticks with the House Creamy Parmesan and Cheese dips. They were very good. Then for the pizza we tried one of their specialty pizzas. WE had the Cheese Louise pizza featuring five different cheeses with onions and bacon. This was a very good combination.

We enjoyed our visit here. But our quest for the best pizza still continues. Very good four star rating. This is a fun atmosphere. We felt comfortable and happy we came through this establishment. Definitely worthy of a trip.

Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

We had a group of eight and everyone enjoyed their lunch. Six of us had pizzas one had a meatball sandwich and one had an Italian beef sandwich. It was all very good and the prices are reasonable for the quality of food. We just happen to be seated in the coldest part of the restaurant. The service was first rate

Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

Great local pizza place...met up there with family as we traveled thru town — excellent pizza and great service ... We got a large pizza —split toppings on each half. — and breadsticks for four adults —had plenty left over Price was fair and atmosphere fun — Didn’t have too long of a wait (place is a lot larger than it looked from the outside).
Definitely worth a repeat visit if we’re in the area ...

Reviewed 25 October 2017

Excellent Service and food! Great neighborhood establishment not far from downtown Indianapolis. Also, very good Beer and Wine selection. The wine is priced very wine for dinning out.