“arrogant staff.. unpalatable food”
Review of Taj Mahal Fine Indian Cuisine - CLOSED

Taj Mahal Fine Indian Cuisine
Price range: US$1 - US$10
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I have tried tajmahal recently as that is the nearest indian restaurant for me... i had decent north indian food earlier once as i ordered vegetarian( paneer indian cottage cheese) curry, but i recently ordered lamb curry which was as chewy as a hawaaiii flipflop. when i tried to explain the same to the management they said... ITS HOW THE LAMB CURRY TASTES.. NOBODY EVER COMPLAINED.. i dont know if lamb curry tastes like that at tajmahal or maybe i ordered hawaii chappal curry........ any how i had a terrible experience and would never goback there

1  Thank travelguru079

Reviewed 26 June 2011

The vegetable curry is to die for, as is the garlic naan. SO GOOD! Seriously. They give you a ton of food, too. Each dish is like two meals.

Reviewed 12 May 2011

My husband and I were in town and were surprised to find an Indian restaurant near our hotel just off the highway. It was DELICIOUS! The staff were also great. We loved it so much that we actually went back the next day for lunch. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Reviewed 27 March 2011

My fiancee and I have been frequent customers at Taj Mahal since we moved to Indiana three years ago. We've visited the restaurant at least once a month since then, and have been consistent customers to the point where the staff would remember our favorite dishes and give us personal recommendations on others to try. It has long been our favorite restaurant in Lafayette. The food always amazed us, the atmosphere was enchanting, and the service was fantastic.

Had I written this review a week ago, I would have given Taj Mahal five stars without hesitation. A few days ago, however, Taj Mahal completed a management change to Asian American Restaurants, LLC. Tonight we went there with five friends as our first visit since the change. Little changed about the atmosphere -- although the music had changed from Hindi songs to American pop music -- but the service was extremely slow. In all, we were in the restaurant for two hours and 15 minutes, and that was not by choice.

We immediately noticed that the complimentary lentils and dips had lost their flavor -- the table unanimously agreed that the lentil spices were noticeably absent, and the sauces were watered down. The menu, at first glance, held all the same items as before. My fiancee and I ordered our two favorite appetizers, the peanut chaat and chicken 65, with the intent of sharing the large portions with the table. We were stunned to find that the portions were roughly half of what they used to be, leaving barely enough for the two of us alone to enjoy. Worse yet, they, too, were lacking their usual flavor. My fiancee noted that her chaat, rather than being flavored with traditional Indian spices, now seemed to be covered in salt. The chicken 65 was closer to fast food than any Indian food we had ever tasted. (Not to disparage McDonald's, but we don't drive across town and wait an hour for six McNuggets.)

Our entrees, while resembling their previous incarnations, held flavors barely derivative of the hearty richness we have come to expect from Taj Mahal. The madras chicken curry, which I requested very spicy, was surprisingly mild aside from the palpable taste of pepper. My fiancee's tikka masala was as flavorful as a stick of butter. Each of us around the table shared our respective dishes, and the only respectable one was the chicken biryani. On the whole, the food (especially the rice) had the feel of instant dinners, not "authentic Indian cuisine." It almost seemed as though the new owners were attempting to appeal to the mainstream by eliminating the spice from the food, but it only came across as bland, not palatable.

Still, the worst part was the dramatic decline in service. There were 20-minute periods in which we could not even find a server for a water refill. A male who appeared to be the manager repeatedly tried to take over for his staff, but only at moments when they were already doing their jobs well.

A woman kept stopping by our table and asking us if the food was good -- it wasn't, but with the way the question was phrased, she was clearly looking for a "yes" answer, not honesty. Still, after the fourth time she asked, I considered telling her the blunt truth just to make the questioning stop. Eventually she condescendingly asked us if we had ever eaten Indian food before, to which I replied that we had been frequent customers for years. She ignored me and turned instead to one of our friends at the table who happens to be Indian; the woman proceeded to speak solely with him for about five minutes, acting as though no one else was at the table. Even my friend quickly became uncomfortable with the apparent racism at play.

At the end of the meal, we spent 15 minutes trying to flag down a server so that we could receive our respective checks. For whatever reason, however, they combined all seven of our meals onto one ticket, so we had to manually calculate how to divide the prices and taxes, write down the digits on our credit cards along with their corresponding payments, and send them all back so that the staff could manually enter the amounts. The woman who had been asking about the food returned our receipts and subsequently hovered over my shoulder for awhile, waiting to see what amount each of us would write for a tip. I had never left below 18% at Taj Mahal prior to tonight, but we all shattered that mark during this visit.

I have to be fair, though. The new management did make one improvement -- the water glasses are now significantly larger, which means that you do not need refills as frequently as you once did. That's pretty much it.

To make a long story short, given the prices, the miniscule portions, the poor food quality, and the catastrophic lack of service, Taj Mahal is no longer worthwhile. It makes more sense to visit Khana Khazana... the food there is now superior, it's not on the outskirts of town, and the prices are as reasonable as any other buffet. It's disappointing to have to give this review, because Taj Majal has been the best restaurant in Lafayette for years. Considering the recent changes, however, I cannot in good conscience recommend it.

3  Thank aaron8705
Reviewed 27 October 2010

We wife were in town for college recruiting. Based on Hotel manager recommendation we went to this restaurant. Food was outstanding and service was even better. Manager was even great to offer some specialty food on the house. Any time in future I visit this town, I will be eating in this restaurant. It has authentic North and South Indian food at very reasonable rates. A must try if you are in town.