“90th Birthday Treat”

Williams and Thomas Tearoom
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Kennington
Price range: US$8 - US$21
Reviewed 3 April 2018

We took my Aunt for her Birthday for an afternoon tea. Upon booking a table I was told you didn't have to pre order food as it was prepared to order, I am a savoury kind of girl so ordered their savoury afternoon tea, this was so delicious 5 small savoury scones with a selection of local cheese, dates and two chutneys. My Aunt and Mum fancied the quiche with green bean salad. The quiche was superb but though the beans had a lovely on dressing they were very 'al dente' and really needed a little more cooking as they were too raw to eat - such a shame. Tea was plentiful and brewed with a timer at the table. My Aunt and Mum had the most wonderful meringues with fresh fruit and cream. We bought extra of these to take home. I had two small scones with jam and cream - very nice but I would have preferred clotted cream instead of whipped. Not really a criticism but personal choice - maybe something to consider. I would definitely return as very pleasant afternoon with very attentive staff.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

This is a lovely tearoom which we only heard off by chance. Good selection of cakes and scones. Number of different teas and coffees on offer but don't expect to find a latte or cappuccino on offer. We had a selection of me in scones which were delicious. We saw slices of cake being served to other tables and the slices looked very generous. Will definitely be returning.

Reviewed 14 December 2017

Does not look much from the outside but inside is likely stepping into a whole new world. Excellent service from friendly staff, plenty of choice of teas, coffees and cakes all reasonably priced. And ten out of ten for presentation. Have been back twice since.

Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

What a wonderful little place this. The staff are nice and friendly and the Tearoom itself is very cosy and you feel really chilled and relaxed from the moment you sit down. Pretty place settings with proper china and linen. As for the range of scrumptious delights........delicious. 10/10

1  Thank Explorer278
Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

Well I’m not one to normally write a negative review but in this case I have no option. We had passed a couple of times and seen this place on social media so thought we would save it for a quiet afternoon. Sadly there isn’t any parking nearby apart from the busy road outside if you’re lucky. We came in and sat down and waited a couple of minutes to be acknowledged. A young girl who looked like she was away with the fairies had walked past us 4-5 times, each time with only one thing in her hands rather that use a tray. After what seemed like an age she brought over a jug of water, said have some water whilst you wait and disappeared again. I thought I don’t want water, I want a cup of tea. Another lady was scurrying about clearing a table on the other side of the tea room and still no-one had asked if we would like tea. I dont expect to be served immediately but waiting 10 minutes and no order taken, when there were 5 others in there was way too much. The menu implies as many pies, quiche and other things as you’d like for £4.50 (For which you have to go up to the counter to look at) right past other customers is daft. What happened to the good old chalkboard with the specials written on it? You don’t have to pay an additional £3 for salad. After around 15 minutes of waiting we decided it was too long and we got up to walk out. It was then a lady from the kitchen appeared and challenged me over why I was leaving. She knew exactly why and then stated that she had been timing us. I explained I didn’t expect to wait so long to be asked if I want to cup of tea as it was the tea room and she had no reply. I can see that it is trying to be an upmarket tea room and I’m sure when you finally get round to eating and drinking it’s lovely but I’ve been to 30 or 40 tearooms in Kent and Sussex and I have Never had to wait so long for a cup of tea. We may consider returning to try the full experience but this has really put me off.