“Graduation Weekend”

Abbey Inn
Ranked #17 of 24 Nashville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 May 2015

My husband and I wanted a place to stay so we could travel back and forth to Bloomington for our son's graduation at IU. I had grave concerns given the unpleasant reviews but it was this or driving back and forth to another hotel over an hour away all weekend. As another reviewer mentioned, it is IMPERATIVE that you read what Abbey Inn does and does not offer. It is NOT a hotel. There is not staff on duty and that is made clear during the reservation process. We arrived on Friday and had to page the person on duty. She arrived timely and handled our check in smoothly and efficiently but with no personality or smile whatsoever. However, she answered our questions and we were checked in within minutes. The room does not some updates but it was not horrible or smelly as others mentioned. It was clean and everything worked. The hot tub was a bit loud but not enough to keep us awake. The first few hours it was very, very warm in there and I didn't see a thermostat to adjust. However, when we came back later that evening, it was much cooler in the room. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and like everyone else has mentioned it was so quiet!!! It was so nice to have sleep that was not interrupted by screaming kids or the TV next door or people stomping around overhead.
I can't say much for it being romantic- but that was not the intent of our trip- and I do think it was a bit overpriced for what you get.
The thing I would definitely suggest though is to make sure you go out to eat early or go to Bloomington. We tried to eat in Nashville around 9:00 p.m. and everything was shut down except McDonalds. So bring your own food or plan on eating early.

Room Tip: We were on the corner heading to the gazebo and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LARC130

Reviewed 6 April 2015

DO NOT STAY HERE! Disgusting! NO customer service! FISHY SMELLING HOT TUB! No security! I honestly cannot say enough negative comments about this place. Before we decided to stay my boyfriend and I looked at the reviews on here. Some were bad, some good. We both decided that we would give it a try. I thought maybe the past reviewers were just being over dramatic. Let me tell you. Every negative comment you will read on this page is true. I hate to bring so much negativity, but from the moment you pull up to the building you will see. When we arrived, the office was CLOSED. That's right CLOSED at 4:30. When check in was 4???? Let me tell you when they say they do not have a full staff they mean it. We paid for 2 nights ended up only staying 1 and the whole time we NEVER SAW A SINGLE EMPLOYEE. They had our key and information hanging up on a board when we arrived for ANYONE TO GRAB! Literally you just walk in and there up on a board is our credit card info and name and room key. We didn't like this yet we decided to look past it. After all this was my birthday present. Looking back we should have just left the moment we pulled up and saw the filthy stained curtains in the front. We enter the room in this MOTEL and immediately we smell the nasty hot tub. On the site it says to call with any concerns or issues so that their "non existent staff" can fix it. I called 5 times the first night. NO ANSWER. The next day we decided to leave. Still not seeing one employee. The office was closed. We called them 4 more times in the morning before getting an answer. We told them we wanted to leave early. No "how was your stay?" No "is everything okay?" nothing. It is safe to say I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone. As for the city of Nashville we actually enjoyed it. Although i would say never go in the winter. The city literally shuts down. Most of the shops are private owners which is great. But unfortunately none of the owners opened shop because of the light snow and cold weather.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Megan E
Reviewed 18 March 2015

My fiancé & I took advantage of the weekday deals & our college's spring break & stayed two nights in the Magnolia Suite. Unlike others, our hot tub was not loud & did not smell;but only one button on our hot tub worked. I found it a little hard to breathe in the room at times & I thought it was bc of the chlorine but it turns out I have pneumonia. If you find it shocking or are unhappy w the fact that every room smells like chlorine, then u shouldn't stay at a hotel with a hot tub in every room. The room was very nice but the bathroom door was very hard to close & open. I don't know if it was just our room but the suite had TONS of light switches & a lot of them aren't connected to anything & it takes a minute to figure out which switch is connected to which light. The building is old & it shouldn't be a surprise that there are cracks in the wall & molding.
When they say that the hotel is private, they mean it. We did not see a single employee our entire stay & checked ourselves in & out. I read many reviews complaining about not knowing about self checkin but I received an email 3 days prior to our arrival date informing us on what to do when we arrived.
The cheese, fruit & nut basket is NOT worth $50. It was as if they charged that much just to cover the costs of going to the local IGA to buy the food bc they reuse baskets & the food is not worth $50. The breakfast buffet is also not worth it. I'm not sure if it sucked because we went on a Thursday in offseason or if it is always that way. There were maybe 6 items to choose from & it was all room temp. Save the $12 & go elsewhere to get a better breakfast.
Overall, Abbey Inn is just what it says it is: a private couples' getaway. Really think about everything before you book your stay; if you're a light sleeper, sensitive to chlorine, don't like firm beds, always want an employee at the hotel or you're just picky - really think. My fiance & I had a great time & will definitely come back in the future.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alyssa C
Reviewed 25 January 2015

I am not sure what the owners of this place are thinking? Maybe that people that want to stay here don't have standards?

It began at the check-in process when you had to page someone to come to the desk...then to have the door to the cabin deadnbolted so you can't get in.

Their website claims the cabin is a romantic cabin in the woods. Not so much. It is exactly a run down cabin right beside the main highway to town...where you can hear trucks go by all night.

Their website says to expect to be a bit rustic. I get that. Rustic doesn't mean run down. From the trash littering the entrance way, the towels with bleach stains, the sex toy under the bed, the anti-freeze container on the hot-tub (did they put it in the hot tub??), to the mold on the shower curtain and the cracked windows.

I have stayed in cabins before...this one is more of a hunting cabin than a romantic retreat. Beware...it isn't what it is advertised...and it isn't cheap.

The owners of this place could make this really nice with a little investment...but it is abundantly clear they just don't care.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
10  Thank NC98057
Reviewed 28 December 2014 via mobile

If you choose to stay, try to take advantage of their "Second Night Free" promo that runs Sun to Thur night! One night isn't enough to fully relax and enjoy yourself!
This was our third trip to the Inn. My husband absolutely loves it. I'm a fan, but I can see were some upkeep is needed and wish they would be more attentive to detail.
Positives:
Adults only, hot tub in every room, nice decor in the rooms, it's in the woods with a pond and creek out back, very private and romantic, they provide plates, cups, and utensils in rooms with kitchens.
Negatives:
There was a fallen tree over the walkway into the pond, the pond area has been neglected and it has lost its luster, the hot tubs run continuously making it hard for light sleepers to sleep, if you look too closely at the remodeling, you will see how cheaply it was done.
In all, I'm sure we will be back here. It is a very romantic getaway. I just wish they would do more to maintain the property. It really has a lot of potential.

Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple