“Favorite pizza place”

Toscana Pizza and Pasta
Ranked #50 of 322 Restaurants in South Bend
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 24 August 2016

I've been going to Toscana since I moved to South Bend. They have a great thin crust pizza. You can call ahead and have the pizza ready at your table when you arrive. They're family owned and the owner will stop by your table and check to be sure you're satisfied with your order. We like their pizza, but they do offer other italian dishes.

1  Thank Michael D

Reviewed 5 December 2015

This place makes incredible pizza. I like all styles of pizza and am a serious pizza-phile. This review updates my first one, because now I can speak to the dine-in as well as take-out experience.

The pizza style here is a relatively little-known Chicago thin-crust style (little-known, in that most people think of Chicago as deep-dish town). The bottom crust is somewhat toward the thin, crackery end of the spectrum--crisper than the NY style. that you might find at, say, Yummy Pizza. It's cut tavern-style into squares. The balance of elements in crust and toppings is perfection. The large pizza margherita--the basic, simple test of a pizzaria--was just outstanding. That was my initial take-out experience.

For the dine-in more recently, I saw a lot more, quite literally. With a group, there were three different pizzas plus an unbeatable lasagna and much better than average side salads (better because more generous with ingredients other than simply lettuce).

In addition, the attentiveness of the people at this genuine family shop is beyond anything I've experienced. When I arrived a bit before my friends, Michael introduced himself, his son, his wife, and then a further assistant. Then he took me on a tour of the kitchen (once he gathered that I was pretty interested in pizza and make my own in several styles). Not only was he a jovial delight--he'd make a perfect Chicago-Italian Santa Claus--but I was impressed with their equipment and ingredients. Their cheese is a premium-priced Grande brand, but instead of buying it pre-shredded, they keep it in their fridge in large sealed blocks and run cheese as needed through a commercial extruder, so it isn't shredded but instead "tubed," ending up like a fat diced spaghetti noodle. That means their pizza and lasagna, etc., does not have those anti-caking agents used in pre-shredded cheeses, so it melts (and reheats later) much better. They use a premium flour that is actually a kind of pastry flour (the low protein helping for thinner, crispier crusts). Michael even explained to me that he has used slightly different flours here and in Chicago just because of the effect of different water supplies. The man pays extravagant attention to food and to people.

I count this place among a few others in the region that I truly value: Giannettos (for Chicago deep dish, a wholly different animal); Stop 50 in Michigan City, MI, and Venturi in Goshen, IN (both of which do Neapolitan-style, in wood-fired ovens). And happily, this place is not so far away from me.

2  Thank flabarple
Reviewed 20 September 2015 via mobile

Excellent, delicious food! Superior service from the family owners. The spaghetti, lasagna, meatballs and chicken Parmesan we're wonderful.

2  Thank Jorge V
Reviewed 30 July 2015

I read the reviews about this place's pizza, which were very positive. I ordered a cheese and pepperoni pizza for pick-up at lunch time. It was pretty good for thin crust. Nice cheese/pepperoni ratio with a good spice mix. The crust was thin but too chewy. Having grown up in the Chicago area, I'm picky.

1  Thank Publicola76
Reviewed 9 July 2015 via mobile

Friendliest business I've come across in a long time. From when we ordered to when we left the owner made conversation with us. Pizza tasted incredible and was reminiscent of Chicago. Highly recommended to eat here when in South Bend.

3  Thank Drysocks47