“Beyond ordianry food”

Crooked Ewe Brewery & Ale House
Ranked #7 of 301 Restaurants in South Bend
Price range: US$9 - US$18
Reviewed 15 September 2017

I've been twice with friends and family. Everyone was impressed with the menu and food. I had chicken the first time that was amazing. It was hard not to order it the second time but I wanted to try the green papaya salad. I'm so glad I did. It was wonderful and I had enough for lunch the next day. Others I went with had burgers, brisket, jambalaya. I got to sample theirs- all delicious. They thought so too. The staff is helpful in explaining the menu. It is different in a good way. If you want unique, great food, this place is a must.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

We went to Crooked Ewe just to unwind after a day of driving. Their Staff is Awesome! They can perfectly describe every beer or food dish and are super friendly. The Beer is excellent and the food is amazing. It was probably the best pastrami I've ever had. The view of the river was just the cherry on top of a perfect evening.

Reviewed 2 September 2017

Soooo happy to find a microbrewery for my husband and a vegan menu for both of us. I had the vegan Ewe Tso and it was a huge plate of delicious! My husband had vegan Jambalaya and it was delicious also but a bit smaller portion. Our server, Chuck, spent quite a bit of time with us discussing which dishes and which substitutions were possible to meet our dietary preferences. So refreshing to have a server that actually knows what is in the dishes on the menu. My husband loves microbrew and he was not disappointed. We will visit here again if we get back to the South Bend, IN area.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

The wife and I went with another couple at their recommendation. Probably would never have ventured here without them.....but we are really glad we let our friends pick!
First impressions: Cool building on a scenic river setting with a postage stamp parking lot. We managed to get a parking spot, though......but I am not entirely sure what you do once the lot is full.
Place was jammed, but there were four seats at the bar while we waited for a table....so we gave the beer a test drive so to speak. I tried the Peggy Lee porter first off and it was tasty. I moved to the What's my Name Amber and settled there for the rest of the night. So good. I can't confirm or deny that I may have been over-served on that delicious brew. Only thing we didn't like was a sample of Gleek Gose. Spit it out.
Once we got a table, I honestly had a hard time picking an entree because there were like 4 or 5 that I wanted to try. I settled on the burger and it was outstanding. Good portion size and the fries were crispy and delicious. My wife got the small plate of smoked meat and the brisket was amazing. I wanted to steal the rest of her entree for myself. Our friends got the large plate of smoked meat and the tacos. Both were eaten quickly. No one had room for dessert sadly.
Our server was friendly and attentive. He did a fine job. And the bill, for what we received, was ridiculously low. I actually laughed. Great value here for what you get.
Little quibbles:
The dining area (at least the lower level) is small. It is also incredibly loud. Like, to a ridiculous degree. The room design has nothing to absorb sound, so it turns into a shouting match to converse with your party. I think that was the biggest bummer of the whole night for me. Maybe the upper level is better.
The kitchen is (or at least was on this night) slow. We weren't in a hurry, and I wasn't upset about it at all....but it was a strong 45 minutes from order to food delivered.
Condiments were given in really small quantity. A teeny dish of ketchup for all those fries?
This is an excellent place to have a meal. I thought the beer was very good and the food exceeded expectations. The only thing that was less than excellent was the volume, but maybe that doesn't bother some people. We will definitely be returning here in the future.

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

Visited for dinner and brews during welcoming weekend at ND. Excellent beer and food. A little pricey for South Bend but quality beer and food. We had smoke platter and fried chicken. We enjoyed everything. Beer was good had a pale ale and wheat beer. We also enjoyed deck viewing river while waiting for table. I recommend.