“Amazing lil sushi restauraunt. Just need to smile more.”
Review of Miyabi 9

Miyabi 9
Ranked #70 of 580 Restaurants in Des Moines
Price range: US$9 - US$15
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 28 February 2017

Not lots of smiles here but the staff was friendly, the skilled sushi Chef was very informative and did exquisite work. It was an honor to watch him make the sushi platters. His concentration was flawless and he definitely created artwork with his food. I could not give a less star for lack of smiles since this place is nothing short of amazing.

Reviewed 1 February 2017 via mobile

We plan our departure from Minneapolis to arrive in time for lunch at Miyabi 9. The bento box lunch is top-notch- especially the teriyaki salmon. Cooked just the right amount so it's still moist. The accompanying tempura, miso soup, salad, 4 rolls were each tasty and well prepared. It's obvious only fresh ingredients are used. OK, we may have been starving but this place has a way of awakening appetites! Go.

Reviewed 2 November 2016 via mobile

I've been here many times and by far my favorite way to dine is by omakase. I have never been disappointed or felt that I was being served the easy specials. You can set your budget and give ideas to the chef.

I especially love the Uni here, because I know that they only accept fresh deliveries and will reject items that are not fresh. This is imperative with Uni and don't be surprised if they don't have it on the menu because of the delivery or lack of.

If Mike is there, make sure you sit at the bar and enjoy a conversation as well as samples.

I will continue to return here.

Reviewed 12 October 2016 via mobile

You won't get better sushi in Des Moines. It's one of the better "Americanized" sushi joints you can try, and the service is commendable. Prices are about on par with other restaurants of its kind and the selection of rolls and quality of the food is superior to most.

Reviewed 25 September 2016

I had great expectations for this restaurant because of the praise of a local here in Des Moines about this restaurant and owner Mike Miyabi. I base this review only on the one visit I did with my daughter.
I have been to more then a few sushi restaurants and my opinion is this an average sushi bar maybe even a little more expensive then average.
Mike Miyabi was behind the sushi bar and was a very good host and was funny. I don't think you would be disappointed going here,but again, I think its average. I may be in the minority though as most people here give this an above average rating and again, my friend that lives here thinks its great but even she admitted one time she went there and the sushi wasn't as good as it usually was. She said it was an isolated incident so maybe if I went back I would also give it an above average rating.
The location of this place is great close to night life but an area that is still pretty quiet at night.